Facebook (Split and closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: World's Photo's?

The site is open to anyone, there are over 100 members in the Sunfish Class Group there.

Brian,
I agree. B.B., I think that is a completely innappropriate & strange post/reply for this forum, and I think you owe an explanation(in private) to the forum moderator(Bradley?) and Brian for your comment.
Just my two cents.

I thought it was for pedophiles. :)

BB

Actually beldar makes a very good and serious point. Social networking sites including Facebook are marketing themselves to young teens and so are attracting pedophiles who search for victims in such places. MySpace seems to have more of a problem in this respect than Facebook but the latter certainly has some risks.

So parents beware. Either keep your kids off these sites or monitor their use of them carefully. In particular warn them about the dangers of sharing personal information with strangers online.

Geezer I agree with your concerns, but I didn't/don't think B.B.'s posting was meant as a serious posting as it was accompanied by a smiley face icon.

I had just read an article concerning that with it being back to school tim, colleges and high schools are warning students and parents about the dangers of posting too much information (such as phone numbers and home addresses) on sites such as facebook and myspace before I made my post above. There have been numerous problems with stalking, etc. due to these sites. I thought more people would have read the articles about that or I would not have posted my off topic post.

I will stick to sailing topics in the future.

BB

Good for you beldar. It's pretty freaky for a class that wants to encourage junior sailors to recommend that its members keep in touch with each other using a site that's a known haunt of child predators.

Honestly, you guys don't have a clue about the site...its quite obvious...its just like this site, you have a profile here, you can choose to fill in whatever details you want. I have never heard anything bad about facebook, you're confusing it with myspace. Anyways, you have complete control of your privacy settings. Most of the Juniors are already on there regardless of their being a class group, so really, get with the program or hush and take care of your own family. Since there are over 130 class members and many of the class officers on there, I don't think anyone appreciates being called a pedophile just cause there on the site. The site has over 50 million members. The cool thing about the site is that you don't get spammed like myspace because they verify each account via a cellphone text message, which you need that capability or you cannot use the site. In addition, when someone wants to message you, you can get a text message notification right to your cellphone, which makes communication much easier. If this isn't your thing Geezer and Beldar, by all means, feel free not to participate. However, for normal folks, it can be a really good tool and way to keep in touch, share photos, notify people of events, etc.

Anyways, I'm really tired of the negativity you 2 constantly bring to almost every subject here on this forum. I notice you 2 love to hide behind anonymity as well where you don't even say who you are. In my opinion, only cowards or people that like to tear everything apart and hide do those kind of things. And really guys, like people don't know the deal with social networking sites by now? They really need to hear these great concerns of yours like the news hasn't been flooded with such topics by now.

I'm surprised you guys are even online with attitudes like yours.

Enjoy your constant bashing! Peace.

As far as the Class is concerned, the only official class site is sunfishclass.org, not this site or any other.

I don't think anyone appreciates being called a pedophile just cause there on the site.

I never called anyone a pedophile. I just pointed out that Facebook is a known haunt of pedophiles so we need either to find somewhere safer for junior members to share information, or at the very least to make sure that their parents are aware of the risks of social networking sites and how to protect their kids if they do allow them to use them.

Sorry if you find that negative Brian, I care about Sunfish kids' safety.

From my point of view, you guys asked where photos were, i shared information, the next thing I know its and indictment of the site I shared.

In the future, maybe I will just not post here...To me, I personally find it freaky/creepy to have people making comments on a bulletin board with completley anonymous member profiles, and them not be willing to reveal who they are. That is why I don't create bulletin boards on the sunfishclass website.

Geezer, just an FYI, at the North Americans this year the Board of Directors had a discussion about how mean-spirited most of your posts are. All one has to do is look at your profile and click find more posts from this user. What they would see speaks for itself, way more than half of your comments are negative one-liners.

I do owe Beldar an apology, upon further review most of his/her posts are positive in nature. In the future, if you and Beldar are concerned about Junior sailors, I can respect that. However, there are much better ways to get your point accross such as offering safety tips, or simply offering a warning to be careful when using such sites. Stupid blanket statements like what were offered below are just ridiculous.

As far as your links you shared Geezer, I can see why I never heard of them, look at the sources, who are they? One college newspaper article with a college kid upset that they opened the site up to everyone, honestly, that is very old news and just a college kids opinion, not a journalistic point of view. I have no idea who the sources are for your other 2 articles, not that I am doubting its true, but surely its a little weak to be indicting the whole site based on that information.

As someone who works in the tech industry, I can say all social networking sites have some danger and parents should exercise caution. Using instant messengers or even being members of bulletin board groups such as this have the same dangers. Being online in general has some dangers. Once again, some common sense and adjusting your privacy settings eliminates most of the risk. As far as social networking sites go, the standards Facebook uses are much better that almost any of the other available options. Unless someone is on your friends list, they cannot view any of your personal information.

Anyways, I have asked Bradley to delete this entire thread since its outlived its usefullness to this forum.

For those of you who have never used Facebook, it is completely different from myspace and many other social networking sites. Facebook is designed to allow FRIENDS to easily share and communicate online. While I think the pedophiles statement was probably meant as a joke, this thread has served its purpose. Please remember to keep threads on topic.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back