EZ Rec Rack For Sunfish

Guybrush3pwood

Given my continued failure to find a suitable trailer for my sunfish, I’m starting to think of possible alternatives.

Facebook must have known this because they showed me an ad for this roof rack system used mainly for kayaks. Any chance this would work with a sunfish? I somehow still doubt my ability to get one at the top of my Nissan Xterra, even with this system, but curious if anyone else has tried one of these.

Beeee Careful the Sunfish are moderately heavy and awkward because they’re long.
and more difficult to car top solo too.
It’s not worth getting injured, because if you get injured

then you can’t sail. :)

Yes this is a Genius design I agree......with a good strong back...

I know, but I've been chasing trailers for a couple months now and I'm getting exhausted checking for new ones every 20 minutes. There has to be a better way!

I know, but I've been chasing trailers for a couple months now and I'm getting exhausted checking for new ones every 20 minutes. There has to be a better way!
There is a better way. Set your search feature on craigslist with your parameters (boat trailer, less than $400 or whatever your max is, and distance willing to travel for it). You will be alerted when something comes up. If it’s a good deal don’t get analysis paralysis- act fast or someone else will scoop it.
You could also put up a wanted ad. Lots of trailers taking up space in backyards all over.
If you think finding a trailer is hard, try registering it with motor vehicles without a VIN and previous reg papers- not just a bill of sale.
Yes, it varies by state, but in CT it’s damn near impossible. I’ve learned the hard way. Check the requirements in your state and don’t buy a trailer you can’t register unless you don’t plan to travel with it.
Or bite the bullet, buy the Harbor Freight- easily registered- and go sailing (after you put it together- probably some frustration there, too! )
Once you’re on the water and comfortable with your new boat all that frustration will wash right off. It’s worth it.

There is a better way. Set your search feature on craigslist with your parameters (boat trailer, less than $400 or whatever your max is, and distance willing to travel for it). You will be alerted when something comes up. If it’s a good deal don’t get analysis paralysis- act fast or someone else will scoop it.
You could also put up a wanted ad. Lots of trailers taking up space in backyards all over.
If you think finding a trailer is hard, try registering it with motor vehicles without a VIN and previous reg papers- not just a bill of sale.
Yes, it varies by state, but in CT it’s damn near impossible. I’ve learned the hard way. Check the requirements in your state and don’t buy a trailer you can’t register unless you don’t plan to travel with it.
Or bite the bullet, buy the Harbor Freight- easily registered- and go sailing (after you put it together- probably some frustration there, too! )
Once you’re on the water and comfortable with your new boat all that frustration will wash right off. It’s worth it.

That's the problem I'm running into. 90% of the trailers out there don't come with paperwork. Perfect example - have one on the line for $450, comes with a transferrable registration and it's signed, but it's not in the seller's name, so the name on the bill of sale doesn't match what's on the registration. Will I be able to register that? I have absolutely no idea.

That harbor freight trailer looks better and better as the days go on.

Yes! Check your DMV online requirements, but in CT (where your first born must be sacrificed) the previous registration does not have to be in the name of the seller. You just have to have it. In your case the seller just never registered it. Get a bill of sale (and previous reg, of course) from the seller.

Yes! Check your DMV online requirements, but in CT (where your first born must be sacrificed) the previous registration does not have to be in the name of the seller. You just have to have it. In your case the seller just never registered it. Get a bill of sale (and previous reg, of course) from the seller.

Ok, I'll see if I can snag this!

Just saw that the guy added info saying it's already registered as a homemade. Ugh. Pass. This is the kind of nonsense I'm talking about!!

I may just have to go with Harbor Freight until I can find something better.

Last edited:
Why pass? If it’s registered that’s good! Nothing wrong with homemade if it was well made. Don’t go by my state, though, check your DMV requirements first.

Pretty sure it means I have to get it inspected every year and have to have it weighed and a bunch of other nonsense.

Sadly the NY DMV site leaves much to be desired. It's so vague about everything.

I could be wrong, but being homemade it only had to be weighed and inspected initially to get a vin#. Once that is completed it’s treated just like any other trailer.
It just says homemade on the regi.
Although I do know what you mean, it’s seems every one got a story why they don’t have paperwork, or if it’s does they’re trying to sell a 25y/o trailer for like 25% less then brand new.

Notice the use of a single leaf spring. :) Smart—and easy on the keel... :cool:

The Harbor Freight trailer has three leaf springs! :(

Back