Eyestrap and Ratchet Block on old 'fish

roccaas

My '72 has a downward pointing hook mounted vertically to the forward edge of the cockpit lip. Was this the attachment point for a Block, or did they just wrap the sheet around the hook in the old days?

Are there Blocks that will attach to this hook, or should I install an eyestrap and quality Block onto the deck.

Thanks.

This rounded hook on the forward lip of the cockpit is a snubbing hook for the mainsheet. It was standard issue on production Sunfish through the 1970's and actually worked fairly well in the pre-ratchet block days.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Definitely the eye strap, spring and block on the deck. Replacing the hook with the block just makes for different shaped knee scars.

On one of my boats I simply put the eye strap onto the holes where the hook came off. Puts the stress point of the main sheet about 1" lower so you get a little more holding power out of the ratchet block. Saves drilling holes. Wherever you mount it, back it with washers and use nylock nuts so they don't vibrate off from road wear. Good luck.

Back