Extra hull filler

Davearoy

I Love Sailing
I have resealed with Fiberglass all of my hull leaks on my 1970s Sunfish. I rechecked for any additional leaks by using low pressure air. My problem is, my bouncy Forum is still damp, and I will dry it out by using two low powered fans. Some one told me that I could also add empty plastic soda bottles to increase the bouncy of the hull. Does this sound correct? Has anyone tried this?? Thanks in advance for y’alls comments

Empty soda bottle only help with buoyancy if the hull becomes filled with water. But the foam provides all the buoyancy needed, so why add more? As far as making the hull more bouncy, I don’t know how to help.

I can see where you might do it if you sail in cold water or
some extreme conditions where self rescue is the only option.
If the hull fills completely with water it will still float but become
almost impossible to sail. If you were going that route I'd think
about adding additional foam blocks to stiffen up the hull. Still,
pop bottles are a kind of 'down and dirty' fix. A few collapsible
water jugs might be easier if you put a inflater valve on the cap.
Just make sure they are small enough not to pop the hull seams.

I have resealed with Fiberglass all of my hull leaks on my 1970s Sunfish. I rechecked for any additional leaks by using low pressure air. My problem is, my bouncy Forum is still damp, and I will dry it out by using two low powered fans. Some one told me that I could also add empty plastic soda bottles to increase the bouncy of the hull. Does this sound correct? Has anyone tried this?? Thanks in advance for y’alls comments
Yes, that solution was mine. I had removed all the soggy stuff that formerly provided flotation and deck strength on my Porpoise II (an early Sunfish clone).

If the (white) foam is still damp, it can be dried out. It's the brown foamy "glue" that absorbs water the most. Check that the white blocks are firmly in place; if not, read our members' techniques in gluing them back-in firmly.

Weigh your boat now—and after a suitable time period—using the fans. Drying out is usually a weeks-long process, but others here have had some luck getting the moisture out sooner.

Back