Experience with SLO Sails?

c14_Jim

Sailing on Shelter Bay
Hi All.
I paid for and ordered a mainsail from SLO Sail and Canvas in San Luis Obispo, CA on July 23 and it was promised to me for August 2nd. Here it is August 9th and I still don't have my sail and I'm getting worried that I won't have it for a regatta on the 14th. Has anyone else had good or bad experience with this outfit? I have had trouble communicating with them, to say the least.

I bought a cover from them. It was delivered very quickly and the quality was great. I never experienced any communication issues.

No experience with SLO but they are on my short list of people to contact this winter when I plan to purchase news sales. I am curious how it works out for you...hope they come in time for your regatta.

Suggest you call them and call them. Hopefully they have a good reason and will express mail your sail to you in time.

SLO Sails

So, did you get your sails? If so, were they Racing sails? How do they perform? Their price is much lower than the majors like Quantum and N. Sails.

Recieved new Sails

I did get my new sails. However I was disappointed in that they promised me them by a certain date and didn't deliver. Not only that, but they stopped answering my emails asking for a new delivery date and also did not return my phone calls. I inspected the sail carefully and the quality of the Main Sail is very good. I have raced with it and it seems fine, but I am no expert in this class and neither were the people I raced against. One thing: I couldn't believe how noisy the sail was. Maybe that is good (stiff cloth), but for a while it drove me crazy. As an old one design racer I can tell you that if you are in a very competitive fleet you should find out what the leaders are using for sails and stick with that. Usually one or two sail makers seem to have the fastest sails in a particular class and in addition will tell you exactly how to tune the rig and trim the sails for that particular class.

My experience with SLO

I did not have any communication issues with SLO sail & Canvas. Two years ago, they altered my jib by replacing the plastic hanks with spring pistons and removed, resized, and replaced the viewing window.
I found them to be timely, as it was only a few weeks, but I do not have any experience with other sailmakers to compare to. In the same line, I thought the $60 was reasonable for the work. They also threw in a professional cleaning of the jib.

thanks

thanks for your comments on SLO. My bad experience may have been an anomaly. I'm sure it was a busy season and they had lots of orders to fill. Glad it worked for you.

Back