Expensive weekend... The remains of two 25+ knots days...

thieuster

After almost 15 months of docile weather, the last week brought some oldfashioned storms. The UK and a large part of NW Europe were under the route of some serious storms. Yesterday and today the last of the foul weather.

The Youth Squad went out for a training weekend (in, for those of you who've been here, Medemblik). Weather reports showed that the wind reached 25+ knots with gusts hitting the high 30s/ low 40s.

Things went pretty well but financially not so... A broken radial lower mast and a snapped carbon joystick are the silent witnesses of an 'intense-but-oh-so-cool' weekend. Oh well, that's 300 euros from the contingency fund...

IMG_4699.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg
IMG_4701.jpg

I've ordered a new one. The old one isn't binned. One of my son's old coaches has a company that designs & builds carbon parts for various clients (offshore sailing etc). He's more than willing to give it a try: repairing the old one - so that it can be used as a spare tiller.

if it's the Fatso brand the insert will actually make it stronger at the break point than the rest of the extension. I broke mine as it weakened over time after sitting on it multiple times. Finally it just snapped clean like the photo. Anyway, still strong 3 years after the repair.

Oh he knows... he pays 10 % of all costs, including these. It started at 0 % when he was young, then we went to 5 % when he was 14, 15 y/o and since last year it is 10 %.

Well.... that helps! 10 % 'chip in' makes one inventive and motivated. Youngsters are heroes when it comes to online searching. So he found this:
Polish Tiller Extension

Indeed: from Poland. Hopefully like their Optimist J-Sails (Polish product as well) an A+ product. For 41 euros / 46 dollars worth a try!

Menno

Back