expansion foam and blocks

AJC6882

here are some pictures of me resetting one of the loose blocks in my boat. I only have one 5" port at the centerboard area. I made a tool to reach far inside by taping the cup to the end of a short wooden stick actually very easy to use. I only had to use it for two pours. I used a 3" putty knife to remove the old foam between the block and the fiberglass. My boat had a lot of foam on the top of the block and none on the bottom. The one thing I did notice with the foam from US Composites was that it is brittle when cured. The foam that i pulled out of the boat seemed to be just as dense but less brittle.

Also i was able to loosen the foam from the fiberglass almost completely using the putty knife and a flat screw driver. Before every mix and pour I would take a look inside the hull to get an idea where I needed to reach to get the foam in the right spot. Then i mixed the Part A and B together 4 ounces at a time. I used about 1/3 of the Part A and B on the portside block. So for the future. One quart of Part A and one quart of Part B should be enough to completely reset the blocks in the front of the boat.
04-05-09_1409-1.jpg
05-03-09_1339.jpg
05-03-09_1317.jpg

Looks like a good job. I've been here and done this. I used canned expansion foam like Great Stuff. By connecting the can to flexible tubing and a long stiff wand, I was able to spray foam into all areas that would normally be well out of reach. It worked well and the blocks are still solid 2 years later.

Back