Exercises specifically for 'Mature' Laser sailors

Johnny B

OK - New Years Resolution #1 - get in shape for sailing this Spring/Summer/Fall (that's 2021.
Background: I'm a Great Grand Master sailor, returning to Laser sailing after 20+ years sailing bigger boats.
I'm finding that - this past Fall - I was out of shape for hiking, and also for roll tacking [as in very difficult to impossible
getting from the low side to standing to switching to the new tack].
Now I have approx 5 months to get my GGM category body into some semblance of shape. I'd appreciate any tips,
thoughts, youtube exercise programs, especially ones geared to the ... over 75 year old category - if there is one in
the ILCA. ?? I'd appreciate any advice from someone my age trying this from a similar age, of course - what to look out
for, what exercises to do (reps, sets), what to be wary of, etc ...
Thanks for the help. I'm really looking forward to this 'new' activity!
John

You will find a decent number of dinghy specific exercises on You tube. Granted, many of these are given by Olympians and directed to younger sailors. So us older folks would do less reps , use less weight. The best thing to do (assuming Gym is closed due to COVID) is to buy some exercise bands. Some with a handle , some without. They are cheap and replicate a lot of the pulling done on a Laser. Buy a cheap Yoga mat for stretching exercises. You can also use the mat to do core strengthening drills. With some basic equipment, you will find 25 good drills on the internet. Good Luck !

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at youtube for dinghy-specific exercises. I do have a set of both bands as well some others with handles, and
have used them in other exercises.
Do you have any specific exercises (other than deep knee bends and squats) for rising from the low side during a roll tack and smoothly getting to the new
high side? I'm wondering whether there is an exercise that 'speaks' directly to those muscles.
Also, any specific Youtube videos that come to mind ??
Thanks for the reply, and for your time.
John

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at youtube for dinghy-specific exercises. I do have a set of both bands as well some others with handles, and
have used them in other exercises.
Do you have any specific exercises (other than deep knee bends and squats) for rising from the low side during a roll tack and smoothly getting to the new
high side? I'm wondering whether there is an exercise that 'speaks' directly to those muscles.
Also, any specific Youtube videos that come to mind ??
Thanks for the reply, and for your time.
John
Knee bends & squats work. I don't really go to one particular video. Build strength, stamina and flexibility.

At my age (58) its much more to do with flexibility than strength. I do squats for core strength, nothing spectacular with 10kg dumbells, also gentle push and pull ups and use resistance bands.

However to mix it up a bit I do windsurfing, this helps a lot with the balance aspect and gives me a wider range of experiences/more motivation.
It's also a lot physically easier than Laser sailing.

By windsurfing I probably should say board sailing as I go home when it gets to 20mph wind speed. I use an Original Windsurfer.

21 Day Beach Body Fix Challenge on line workouts at home. Lots of modifiers and different level vid's. Yoga is in there as well. Lots of great core stuff. Very workable for someone in their 70's. I'm mid-50's and started there but have moved on to some more aggressive stuff now.

Thanks, Tom.
I think I'll have to stretch everything a lot ... it'll be fun, though, and amusing -
as long as no one is videoing me!

I'm 51, and re-started the Shawn T Insanity workouts in December. I sailed in our annual "Rock the Ice" here in Dallas. It blew like crazy (largest puff clocked in at mid-40's!), and for the first time ever, I didn't want to curl up in the fetal position when I got off the water. Lots of squats...

Old thread and I’m 50s, was in great shape pre-Covid then the gyms closed. I hate to run in the cold and had no squat rack so, I’ll be back on the treadmill, bicycle and the squat rack again.

but I’m thinking yoga, planks and (yuck) crunches for laser sailing. Cardio is always good for everything except maybe bodybuilding.

Back