Even the Laser is not immune

yes, across the front of the cockpit, so it would be just infront of the boom block, so you would never strangle yourself, and it would not be attached to the boom. You tie the mainsheet around the boom, take it down to the block attached to the bridel, then to the boom block, and back to the mainsheet block

So, the load on the mainsheet would be higher because the sheet is now attached to the middle rather than the end of the boom. The boom would bend in the middle causing all kinds of leech problems, and the boom would be pulled to the centerline of the boat by the length of the bridle, causing sheeting angle problems.
Why is this a good idea?

this is not at all a professional opinion--
During the pacific coast champs, a carbon composite topsection was available for testing by tracy usher and the like, i believe he said that he wasn't wild about it. I really don't think that it would be worth it with the increase in cost.

as for aluminum topsections, ive heard that the australian ones are the best right now. true?

I have no personal experience but the 'For Sale' ads in the UK often claim that an Australian top section is stiffer therefore best for heavier sailors.

When I move out of the house and my parents don't care what I do to my laser, I'll try it on my old boat. I won't do it now because I don't want to drill holes in it and deal with the "Wrath of Dad!!!!:O"

And when I was in the junior program, we used to dick around, and would often sail around with the mainsheet dead ended at the first boom block. And the boat was sail able. In order to get the right leech tension, the height of the bridle simply has to be adjusted. Being that I have never tried it, I don't know how high.

But I'm not an engineering student, nor have I ever claimed to be, and I have not played one on TV, and I did not stay in a motel six last night. So don't take my word for it. I just had a really good idea. (At least I think so, if you don't like, move on!)

Back