Europe Cup Roses

thieuster

There's a short wrap-up of the Roses Europa Cup here on the forum under Laser Talk. However, EurILCA has posted a few nice videos that catch the spirit of the event. Here's day 1:

The other days' highlights can be found on EurILCA's YT channel as well. About the results: well my son didn't do too well. He suffered from seasickness as a result of the rogue-ish waves and wind. Every now and then this happens to him. Perhaps it had also to do with the long trip south from home to Roses the days before - still fatigued? I know that a lot of other sailors take pills against it, but he's 'anti-chemicals' ; he won't take any. (Not even an aspirin against headache). So he ended in the middle of the Radial Fleet: #33

Other Dutch sailors did better: e.g. Paul Hameeteman won the 4.7 class prize and the U16 & U18 prize and Willem Wiersma the Radial U17 prize. After three days sailing, we loaded all up: RIB, two lasers and headed back, 1400 kms north, mostly on the French AutoRoutes (which are simply brilliant roads!).

Menno

he's 'anti-chemicals'
You might remind him that all his food and drink is made of "chemicals". He's actually all made of "chemicals" himself. :rolleyes: Because everything is.

I've never myself gotten seasick in a sailboat, only on ships where the movement is much larger and you can't see the horizon.

_

...hence the '...'

I've seen it before. The boys and girls discussed this after the first day on the water and that's how I found out that more of those kids suffer from it. Perhaps it also has to do with the choppy-ness of the waves(?) E.g. Lake IJsselmeer here in Holland is notorious for it and as a result: seasickness. I remember at least one regatta when my son was in the optimist that I saw him 'feeding the fishes'.

It's not just kids.
Adults sailing (Sunfish or Laser) in big waves occasionally get sick too, unfortunately.

Back