Epoxy problems

JohnnyVan

Can anybody tell me what might be happening here? I am brushing on two part total boat marina epoxy on a newly built daggerboard. Between coats I have been sanding with 120 grit to bring down any high spots and then wiping it down with acetone. On subsequent coats the epoxy doesn't seem to adhere in spots. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_160008.jpg
    IMG_20200927_160008.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 62
I use slow-set catalyst. ('Suits my speed). ;)

Are you referring to the spots in the foreground?

It's not easy to see just where the problem is. Can you take another picture with the board outdoors?

(Not now, of course!) :confused:

That is interesting. Sounds like you are doing the right thing - the acetone sounds like what should cause this NOT to happen. Signal Charlie is our epoxy guru and I imagine he will weigh in.

Cured epoxy has a "blush" and acetone will not wipe it of. Soap and water will. Sanding before cleaning may embed the blush vs sanding it off. Of course layer before total curing will allow skipping this step, but when cured, the blush rises to the surface

A question from someone who hasn't used polyester resin for decades:
:oops:

Is "blush" found in polyester repairs?

The video is right. With West Systems, a little soap helps too. I have not used Jamestown's product.

Yep,
That looks like what I did wrong. I had no idea that I couldn't sand it off. I won't make that mistake again.
It didn't have much blush on it but I guess it was just enough to cause the refusal of certain areas.
Thank you all for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20200928_090941.jpg
    IMG_20200928_090941.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20200928_090956.jpg
    IMG_20200928_090956.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 45

Back