End to End top section

suthera

Hi,

I managed to capsize recently and stuck my mast in the sand. I’ve ended up bending the top section at the collar. I’ve figured out how to straighten the mast OK. The problem is that it bends back straight away when I go sailing – presumably when I pull the vang on. I’ve decided the best remedy is to straighten the mast again, and then end to end the top section.

Does anyone know the best way of getting the cap off the top of the top section? It seems awfully hard to get it moving.

Any ideas or hints appreciated.

Cheers,

If you can get the other end off, put a heavy object (a big chisel works well) in the tube with with it laying horizontally and then quickly stand the tube on end and let gravity do the rest.

The colder the aluminum, the easier to get the caps off (ie, do it in the early morning, or soak the end of the tube in a bucket of ice water)

If you can get the other end off, put a heavy object (a big chisel works well) in the tube with with it laying horizontally and then quickly stand the tube on end and let gravity do the rest.

The colder the aluminum, the easier to get the caps off (ie, do it in the early morning, or soak the end of the tube in a bucket of ice water)

To get the bottom plug off, put it into an engineering vice and just twisting the aluminium tube off (you might need to remove any rivets holding it in place). Then follw the above advice.

Finally got around to doing this last week. Thanks to you both for the advice it worked a treat. Anyone know the best way to seal up the three holes that I removed the rivets from for the old bottom plug?

After drilling out the rivets, I drilled a gazillion holes in the cap until I cut it in two. Came out pretty quick then.

Back