Class Politics Electronic Compasses

This is written in the rules?

My car analogy images are being blocked. So here it is with a new, but equivalent image:

To use a car analogy, everyone else is driving this:

1972_Ford_Mustang_Mach1_Yellow_sf11.jpg

But Ross and Powergroove want to be driving this:
splash_stage3_yellow.jpg

Youre saying I WANT to cheat, thats just not true.

This is written in the rules?

I did not read Sailchris's comments as saying that you want to cheat, and I'm a pretty critical reader. I also thought that his car analogy was apt. His comment that if you want to fuss with the boat, we don't want you in the class, IS from the Laser Class rules. We love debate here. Please take a break, maybe go sailing, and chill a bit, maybe read the thread from the start. :)

I made an analogy between taking a 70's car (i.e. the 70's designed Laser) and wanting it to resemble a modern version of the same car (i.e. a modern open class boat).

According to the Laser class rules, the changes you and Ross are suggesting are currently defined as cheating: "Cheating is doing something that you know is illegal. Whether you gain an advantage or not is irrelevant."

I don't disagree that there are some parts of the Laser that could do with some improvement, but until those improvements become legal under the rules, you are not allowed to make them yourself and race with other Lasers. The way to effect change is to suggest that certain improvements be approved by the class; it has happened in the past (e.g. new vang, new clew sleeve, etc.).

Oh, and we like sailing our simple little boats. It annoys us when you suggest that it will die out as a result of the rules that have made it the dominant singlehanded class in the world. Learn to love the simplicity (and occasional anachronism); when you need your complexity fix, sail your F18.

One thing often surprises me - that some people go out, buy a Laser knowing what it is, how it all works (one design, limited sail manufacturers, strict gear control, etc.) then start griping like mad because the rules/regs they were quite happy about are now the same but they decide they don't like them and the class should change to meet their new needs and desires.

Same with sails. When people buy their Laser, the prices of new sails are clearly published and available. But then people don't half get uptight about having to pay those prices and start complaining about the one design rules being to restrictive when it comes to sail manufacturers.

I purchased my Laser, I knew what it was and how it worked and I'm happy about it and having a great time. If it all changed because a few people realised that they have other interests (like tweaking and messing with their boat control systems) then what about those of us that still like it as it is. As others have said, the current system works (190000 boats is hardly a commercial disaster) and for those that want to tweak and play around there are loads of other classes, good competitions, etc. - so why focus so much on changing the Laser when maybe what is needed is for those few people to change their boat. If they realise this then they will be fortunate in that there is such a good 2nd hand market for Lasers and they hold their value so well (which might have something to do with what a Laser is and what Laser racing is all about).

Ian

there is such a good 2nd hand market for Lasers and they hold their value so well

But, if people make too many permanent modifications then they destroy the resale value of their boat by putting extra holes where they don't belong, etc.

For example, the modification below saved using a $40.50 deck plate that fits into the existing jam cleat screw holes. However, it required four new holes in an area of the deck that was never designed for them.

laser_parts_003.jpg

This next modification created two new holes in a $265 lower mast to use a $50 component instead of the $245 legal component that uses the existing vang tang. However, even the $50 component was unnecessary since the old vang components can be used to create an excellent and legal vang system (shown in the subsequent photo).

laser_parts_001.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

Merrily, thanks for rediecting me, 5th 12 hr day, looking forward to sailing this weekend and taking a break from the stress. Chris, sorry dude, I'll buy you a beer someday. Diemos, the boat was given to me, I really didnt go out and buy a boat knowing full well what I was getting into. Chris, I see your point about the cost of the parts I put on the boat, but like I have said somewhere on this forum and I think in this posting, I had all these parts laying around from my other boats. I broke the mast step on the hull pictured, and so my new hull I did add the base plate, think its a great improvement, and would recommend anyone go that way instead of picing some things together. Im not sold on the 2 screws that hold it on, seems alittle weak, but we will see. Maybe one day I will have the money to buy the vang and compete legally, but until then, I will sail the boat as is, maybe using an old vang to race with.
Does everyone feel better?

Im not sold on the 2 screws that hold it on, seems alittle weak, but we will see.

I don't think the screws are going anywhere, but I have noticed problems with the plastic plate flexing under high loads because it is only attached along the centerline and not at the edges.

I have been racing with the old vang blocks plus some small bullet blocks and the old style swivel (a legal setup) for a couple of years. It has plenty of purchase and saves $250.
Here's how to rig it (I use a bullet block instead of the bottom pin on the boom block, and another bullet block instead of the rope loop):

VangRig-Shevy.gif

VangRig-Shevy2.gif

VangRig-Shevy3.gif

saw that , thanks, thats what I will do.
didnt this thread start with Deimos trying to get Electronic compasses? Sorry to get it so offtrack.

didnt this thread start with Deimos trying to get Electronic compasses?

Not really (I don't want an electronic compass). More that these days so many sailing watches seem to have them built-in and thus, if you want to use a sailing watch (with start countdown), your choices are somewhat more limited as, if you got one with a compass included it would be illegal (and the compass totally useless as well).

I was just wondering if some exception should be made allowing personal wristwatches that include a digital compass, allowing greater choice of wristwatch with no question of any advantage. If anybody tried to use those compasses whilst racing then great - as they would quickly mess up loads of things and I might stand a chance to catch-up a bit.

More a thing of interest as my sailing watch does not have a compass and I have a low opinion of such compasses anyway. As with all less formal things, discussions move on to broader issues.

Ian

Back