Electric Motor question. How to run the battery cable?

pat14.2

I own a 2001 (mod 3). The former owner had stowed the battery in the cuddy and ran the cable through the open hatch into a battery box.
I would like to improve on that by puting in a Bass Boat style plug so the hatch can be closed. I first thought to add the plug in the forward bulkhead and run the cable in the open cockpit, but a better solution may be to run the cable inside under the seat to a plug near the transom -much cleaner.
Does anyone know if there is any structure under the seats which would prohibit me from doing this? Has anyone ever done this before and could give me some advice on how the fish the cable through?
Good sailing,
Pat14.2

the seats are air boxes

Lat year I called Catalina with a similar question. They told me that seats are airboxes for flotation. I decided not cut holes in the seats after thid discussion.

I did this mod to my Model 2 last year and LOVE it. Yes there are "air Bags" under the seats but they are like the plastic water bladders you use for camping. You can fish the wire by them fairly easily. I used the Minkota three pronged plug and socket and mounted the socket on the front face of the seat near the stern. The wires run under the seat up to the cuddy where the battery is all neat and clean. Let me know if you need more information.

Roger

Cable question

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will try to run a fishtape back to the transom, and if it goes through, cut the holes. On my boat there is a very thin glassed bulkhead on either side if the hatch, and at the upper outboard corners there are small holes where the gunnel meets the deck which are not glassed. I will try to fish through these. Does anyone know what I will potentially run into? Foam blocks? Plastic air bladders? If they were trying to create air pockets, I would think that these holes would be sealed.

Pat14.2

Battery cable run

Thank you Roger for the support. I sucessfully completed the project over the weekend. It was a real challenge fishing the cable through as I ran into air bags and had to cut two small holes in the forward bulkhead. I agree with you that it will definately be well worth the effort. It will be a much cleaner and safer installation. The trick is to not give up when fishing the cable through, it may take several tries and alot of patience. A son small enough to fit in the cuddy is a must!

Back