Ehh, problem !

S

Sailorantoine

Hi everybody !

Is someone know how it cost at the border to pass a Laser from US to Canada ?

Nothing., assuming you aren't buying/selling across the border. And if you are, it's a matter of what you tell them.

But, if for example, I'm living in Canada and I'm buying a Laser in the US that I carry by road, how it cost to pass the border to come back in Canada with ?

But, if for example, I'm living in Canada and I'm buying a Laser in the US that I carry by road, how it cost to pass the border to come back in Canada with ?

So you are importing a boat and are want to know if you will be charged duties at the border? That I would not know.

As far as I know, under NAFTA there should be no import duty payable for an American made boat imported into Canada for your personal use. But I expect you would still be liable for GST and possibly PST within Canada.

Check out also the article written by Heini Wellmann in the Sep 2008 issue of LaserWorld which discusses some other issues related to importation of Laser boats and spares.

Yes, you have to pay GST and also Provincial sales tax. They will value the boat using the Blue Book value, not your reciept:

http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.aspx?l=1&w=24&p=0&f=5601

Unless you provide proof that you bought the boat in Canada and just went sailing in FL or whatever. This is easier during the summer when a lot of boats are going back and forth.

Importing a Canadien boat to USA is free, but theoretically you owe sales tax, which is not collected at the border.

Al

My impressions crossing the border as a US citizen.

Going into Canada, the border people are curteous and polite. "You don't have alcohol, tobacco, or firearms, eh? No? Enjoy your vacation. Thanks for spending your tourist dollars here".

Going back in the US was the exact opposite. They assume you are an Al-Qaeda terrorist (obviously planning to use his Laser to attack a major port installation). They play a game of 20 questions, trying to trip you up and make sure you have your story straight.

In neither case did they ask about the boat. You could probably just drive back to Canada with the boat, acting like you took it on vacation. They won't know that you actually bought it across the border.

Of course, trying to register the boat and/or trailer may create problems.

In neither case did they ask about the boat. You could probably just drive back to Canada with the boat, acting like you took it on vacation. They won't know that you actually bought it across the border.

Of course, trying to register the boat and/or trailer may create problems.

Exactly, that's the way I was thinking of !! You just said that you spend a weekend in US to sail ..

The onus is on you to provide proof of purchase so If you say I bought the boat in Canada and just went sailing in the States be prepared to prove it. Just pay the taxes and avoid a lot of hassle. Why don't you disguise your voice, call Canada Customs from a pay phone and tell them you know a guy who wants to bring a boat from the States to Canada and "he" was wondering what fees he might have to pay. You don't want to screw with Customs, It can get very expensive.

Is-it the US taxes or the Canadian taxes that I have to pay in coming back in Canada with the boat ?

Is-it the US taxes or the Canadian taxes that I have to pay in coming back in Canada with the boat ?
Canadian ... it's always the country you are bringing stuff into.

sig-eng.gif
wmms.gif

Français - http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/imp-mar-fra.html

Importing a marine pleasure craft
Marine pleasure craft include any kind of vessels such as boats, fishing boats, yachts, dinghies, tenders, motorboats, sailboats and personal watercraft, as long as they are used for noncommercial purposes.

All vessels imported by residents of Canada, regardless of where the vessels are licensed or registered, are subject to all applicable duty and taxes when they are first imported into Canada. If a vessel is imported through a land border crossing, it must be declared to the border services officer and the importation process will take place at that location. . . Please ensure to have the bill of sale and proof of ownership ready to present to the officer upon request.

Importing at a land border crossing
If you are importing a marine pleasure craft at a land border crossing, you must declare it to the border services officer; all processing will take place at that location. You must also declare the boat trailer if you have purchased one with the vessel. Please ensure that you have the bill of sale and proof of ownership ready to present to the officer.

Vehicles
Transport Canada defines a vehicle as any vehicle that is capable of being driven or drawn on roads by any means other than muscular power exclusively... Trailers, such as recreational, boat, camping, horse and stock trailers, are considered vehicles as are wood chippers, generators or any other equipment mounted on rims and tires.

Import restrictions
Import restrictions apply to most used or secondhand vehicles that are not manufactured in the current year and are imported from a country other than the United States. For more information, please refer to the CBSA publication called Importing a Vehicle Into Canada, or visit Transport Canada's Web site.

Importing a Vehicle Into Canada

For information on the licensing and registration of vessels, please visit Service Canada's Web site at www.servicecanada.gc.ca or Transport Canada's Web site at www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety.

Special Notice: The duty on snow being imported from the US to BC is temporarily suspended.
lg-vancouver2010_16d-aJ.gif

Ok, thanks a lot, I understand.

I just have to pay the Canadian federal taxe's ( 5% ) on the price of the boat according to the Blue Book.

For example, a 2003 Laser is arround 2 800 $ according to this Blue Book, so 2 800 $ US is 2,989.69 $ CAD x 5 % = 150 $CAD of taxes that I have to pay in coming back home ..

They will value the boat using the Blue Book value, not your reciept:

http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.aspx?l=1&w=24&p=0&f=5601

A few years back I bought a Tasar in Michigan to bring into Ontario. Due to the age of the boat, there was no taxes payable on the boat. If the person you are dealing with doesn't know his stuff, they may try to get you to register the boat. You shouldn't have to do this for anything under 25ft/10hp, which of course exempts the Laser.
The trailler is a different story. Get recepts for the boat and trailler separately. They may ask you to pay a fee for the trailler either there or at your local MTO office. Choose the local MTO office. The MTO is more knowledgeable about the trailler registration requirements and you may avoid unnecessary fees. I avoided paying $180 at the border in this way. I had a real pain in getting a plate for the trailler due to the fact that I couldn't prove that the original owner actual had title to the trailler since the previous owner didn't have to register the trailler in Mich. It would have been easier to claim the trailler was homemade, pay the $25 for a plate, avoid a useless trailer safety inspection, and be on my way.

As mentioned in another post, you should check with CCRA about this. If you know what is required, you are less likely to get suckered into something at the border.

Back