EDITING ISSUES Split from: Homemade ABS dolly

G

Goonie

Bradely, this has gone to far.

I want an answer and I want it now and for the public to see. Why are we not allowed to edit posts? I want to be able to edit my first post to include more pictures and plans. But, because of your silly rule I can't! So, please explain to me the reason behind the rule.

Goonie, what's the beef ? I like the 15 minute editing window, that's plenty of time to for me to check over what I just posted and fix any glaring errors or add something I forgot.

I, personally would find it annoying if the time was extended as it would mean I would always have to re-read all the posts on a topic from top to bottom again, looking for changes. That would get old real fast. So the end result - I wouldn't see yours or anyone else's changes

If you have to add something to your original post, outside the 15 minute window, why not quote your original and highlite the changes or additions ?

I like organization. You would not have to re-read old post, because most people if they edit after 15 mins would add a little note. You would see that note and see that YES! I will read the first post again because of new info.

If I put what I intented to be in my first post at the bottom of the thread, someone new wouldn't see it and may just leave. I want to put all my plans etc. in the first post. If I can't do that Bradely, I will start a new thread every time I have to.

I am on a couple forums and this is the only one of them with such an odd rule.

Originally posted by macwas16
YOU CAN EDIT!!!...just not after 15 minutes since the post!!

Don't yell! If you can't handle mature discussion, don't talk.

Originally posted by Goonie
I like organization. You would not have to re-read old post, because most people if they edit after 15 mins would add a little note. You would see that note and see that YES! I will read the first post again because of new info.

Sorry, the above statement seems to contradictory - First you say you don't have to re-read the old post, then you say I will read the first post again. That's exactly what I want to avoid..... Maybe I'm missing something in the translation ?

If I put what I intented to be in my first post at the bottom of the thread, someone new wouldn't see it and may just leave. I want to put all my plans etc. in the first post. If I can't do that Bradely, I will start a new thread every time I have to.

I'm not buying your first sentence at all - Someone who hasn't read the thread yet comes in at the top and reads from first to last.

I am on a couple forums and this is the only one of them with such an odd rule.

I too am on a couple forums and frankly I like it this way.. now what ? It's all opinions and in the grand scheme of things not that important IMHO.

Goonie, it was agreed to along time ago that a window of 15 minutes would be allowed to edit post. After this window has elasped you will no longer be able to edit your post. This rule has been in place for a very long time, and will not change unless the majority of the forum users would like to see this change made. If you are having problems editing in the first 15 minutes of making a post then contact me privately as that is simply a corruption with your account on the forum.

This information can be seen here: http://www.laserforum.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=654&highlight=editing+post

Thanks for using The Laser Forum. I moved this out of the other topic, as to not disturb a informative thread.

PS: Its BradLEY not Bradely.

Originally posted by 49208
Sorry, the above statement seems to contradictory - First you say you don't have to re-read the old post, then you say I will read the first post again. That's exactly what I want to avoid..... Maybe I'm missing something in the translation ?

You said that you would have to read ALL of the post again. I am telling you that if people change their post, they will most likely add a note. Only then do you have to re-read posts.

Bradely! Why is the rule there? What does the rule acheive. I want everyone to think about that and respond.

This is a side note, You can only have one attachment per post. So you would have to create a new reply to include more pictures anyways. This is not a rule, but of software limitation.

Thanks,

The rule protects all of the replies on the topic and the integrity of the topic itself. On a contraversial topic the original poster could edit the original post to discredit subsequent replies. It has been mentioned a number of times in this topic that most editors would add a note as to what was changed. Most is not all which leaves a small number of people who could use the edit to remove contraversial statements without accountability which could leave the replies looking like they are in conflict with a now innocent looking original post.

Andy

Originally posted by Bradley
This is a side note, You can only have one attachment per post. So you would have to create a new reply to include more pictures anyways. This is not a rule, but of software limitation.

Thanks,

Bradely, I don't have to attach an image to put it in a post. I know this software pretty well. I can handle it.

Originally posted by cayenne24
The rule protects all of the replies on the topic and the integrity of the topic itself. On a contraversial topic the original poster could edit the original post to discredit subsequent replies. It has been mentioned a number of times in this topic that most editors would add a note as to what was changed. Most is not all which leaves a small number of people who could use the edit to remove contraversial statements without accountability which could leave the replies looking like they are in conflict with a now innocent looking original post.

Andy

Excellent point Andy. I couldn't agree more. Although I agree with you, I have weighted both sides(both sides have negatives + positives) and I have decided that it is more benefical to have one very nice looking clean thread rather than worrying about some jerk who would do the afore mentioned deeds.

edit: as 490something said earlier. It all boils down to opinions.

Back