Easy water side storage?

OldNJLaser

I'm looking to keep our Sunny at the local lake. There is a 3 foot drop to the water and carrying it up and down the steps is going to get old, real quick. So I'm thinking of other ideas to keep it readily accessible for the occasional after work brain clearing solo sail.

I was thinking of running two pressure treated 2x6 or 8's on a angle up the hill with a winch at the top (same idea as a trailer). Wrap the 2x's in outdoor carpet, and use a few straps to tie it down. I'm not sure if its the best idea, but at the moment it's my only idea.

Security is not that much of a concern as it's private lake. And if it becomes a concern I'll run a chain and lock through the port holes.

Does anyone understand what I'm trying to get at? If so please show off or explain your ideas, maybe you have a better idea then mine. Thanks in advance.

Two 2" X 6" carpeted bunks (like you see on most boat trailers) is the way to go, BUT I do not recommend using a winch to pull the hull up on the bunks. If you attach the winch line to the bow handle, you will surely pull the bow handle out over time and have to make a costly and time consuming repair. You should be able to pull the hull up the ramp formed by the bunks if the angle is not too steep.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

If you find my post in the "Sailing Talk" forum, posted under 'Slow Going', you will find some pictures of a skid I made for my Sunfish. It has a roller for the keel that brings the Sunfish up without much strain/ I have the skid on blocks in the water and the head of the skid on the shore. It has worked well for me. The bunks are 2X4's and I just lift the bow of the Sunfish up on the roller and pull it up.

Hilarious. My cousin just graduated from Skaneateles High School a month ago, and they all jump in to that lake! I have not been up there in forever. Beautiful town.

you will surely pull the bow handle out over time
as I have found out, with me pushing the transom and my friend pulling a line attached to the bow handle getting the boat off the beach and up a hill. The handle snapped.

(I am currently making a skid using a pair of 10 foot 4" sewer pipes, I'll let you know how it goes. I needed the skid light, because I can't leave it on the beach.)

Is the another place to winch from? maybe the cockpit lip?

What if you bought like a 25-30 ft nylon strap with looped ends. Put it in the middle of the rudder bracket and wrap it around the sides just under the lip where the bottom and top halves of the hull join. Tie together at the front with a simple overhand knot and pull on the ends. Then you're basically "pushing" from the back. If that makes any sense at all.

I'm probably overthinking it though.

^^ You make sense, and maybe over thinking it. Although after a long, long day and me trying to move the boat myself I may eventually come back to it :)

as I have found out, with me pushing the transom and my friend pulling a line attached to the bow handle getting the boat off the beach and up a hill. The handle snapped.

(I am currently making a skid using a pair of 10 foot 4" sewer pipes, I'll let you know how it goes. I needed the skid light, because I can't leave it on the beach.)

Is the another place to winch from? maybe the cockpit lip?

The winch is probably not needed, but being lazy just assumed I could use one. It's more to just hold the boat up on incline since it will most likely be stored that way for the summer. I could easy make a widget to lay behind the boat.

here is my solution so far
IMG_2587.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2587.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 35
...I'm probably overthinking it though...

I do that all the time. There's nothing wrong with overthinking. ;)

How about running the line through the bow handle, and secure it around the base of the mast?

I managed to snap off a mast in a strong storm in June. The mast step appears to have taken the new mast just fine—no problems.

my hope with the track is that it won't be too much stress on the bow handle.

BTW: The Intensity Sails replacement bowhandle is solid stainless steel, better than the original chromed pot metal.

BTW: The Intensity Sails replacement bowhandle is solid stainless steel, better than the original chromed pot metal.
I just bought two expensive bow handles, but not from Intensity Sails. :(

How can you tell which is which? :oops:

Hey,old nj laser your from PA so am I what lake are you talking about.Oh and ylojelo try to put some of the rollers you find on boat trailers to that contraption on your 12:53 post.

I do that all the time. There's nothing wrong with overthinking. ;)

How about running the line through the bow handle, and secure it around the base of the mast?

I managed to snap off a mast in a strong storm in June. The mast step appears to have taken the new mast just fine—no problems.
around the mast would work very well. i've been in school for engineering too long. need to get back to the KISS philosophy.

Mine broke due to 30 years of salt water so it saved my boat. I think the weak point is the deck, so any bow handle will work.

Mine was in salt water also. Did it look as bad as this one?

Attachments

• GEDC0058.JPG
    GEDC0058.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 39
Hey,old nj laser your from PA so am I what lake are you talking about.Oh and ylojelo try to put some of the rollers you find on boat trailers to that contraption on your 12:53 post.
Van Sciver. I'm hoping to pick up a Hobie cheap this winter. Something this Sunfish is to heavy or to boring. Probably both-

Upset they shut the lake down this weekend due to the hurricane. I was planning on sailing about now, being they forcasted the storm to be long gone by now. The breeze is blowing dogs off chains, the sun's bright, and i'll get banned for sailing right now... So irritated-

I tried an old crank off a boat trailer to haul the SF up the track. It was too low to the ground I think, and it pulled my stake out. But the track alone allows me to pull it up by my self.

Back