Early 50s sailfish restore

Nice... as for the snow, you're not gonna like it when I tell ya we have ABSOLUTELY PERFECT spring weather here in Cochise County, AZ. :rolleyes:

So good that I SHOULD be doing some home rehab work, but I'm f#%ing off, drinking cold beer & enjoying my million-dollar view of the Stronghold, LOL... :cool:

This is why it takes so long to get those final home rehab tasks done, don'tcha know? ;)

Maybe I'll man up with an attitude adjustment and bust out the tools... it's only installation of deadbolt locks, something I've done a hundred times in the past. :confused:

Cheers!!! Keep up the good work on the boat!!! Liking the progress so far... :D

So... our King Cuomo in NY just closed all launches and marinas. What an idiot! Long Island and downstate don't do what they should so, upstate gets punished. Hopefully by May.
I really like Cuomo- wish he’d run for President. But I sail and tinker with boats to get away from politics and pandemics and all the other worries of this world.

Started modifying the centerboard
20200416_154737.jpg

Attachments

• 20200416_163025.jpg
    20200416_163025.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200416_162155.jpg
    20200416_162155.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 66
  • center.jpg
    center.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200416_162132.jpg
    20200416_162132.jpg
    759.5 KB · Views: 60
There are 4 sections downstate, upstate, capital district, western and central. Nobody wants to be near the capital or downstate lol
Where does that put us out here on the Island?
My son went to SUNY Albany.
He referred to the city as dirty Albs...

Little Long Island trivia, eastern long islanders refer to central and western Long Island as “up island”.

Where does that put us out here on the Island?
My son went to SUNY Albany.
He referred to the city as dirty Albs...

Little Long Island trivia, eastern long islanders refer to central and western Long Island as “up island”.
Nice, a good friend of mine (co-worker) grew up on the bay (not sure of the town, loves surfing and sailing. He and his friends would swim across the bay and hike to the ocean side with surfboards. I had no idea it was possible. LI is it's own world and it's sound like a good one.

Merry Christmas, Season's Greetings and Happy Holidays!

For your daggerboard, I'd suggest upgrading to the longer daggerboards that came with 1960s fiberglass SUNfish. The spoon tip board from the 60s is a good board, the Shadow board (shadow of its former self) is okay and the Barrington daggerboard works great. The key is the length, the boat tacks better with the longer daggerboard.

Now if you want period correct for boat shows get the 31 inch daggerboard on the left, that is correct for wooden Sailfish, Super Sailfish, fiberglass Super Sailfish MK II and wooden Sunfish. Their keels are not designed with as deep of a V as the fiberglass Sunfish. The second board from the left is the Spoon Tip, 3rd over is the Shadow Board and far right is the Barrington. Ebay or this Forum's Wanted Ad section are good places to find them. Older wooden boards may fit in the trunk better as they have shrunk a bit in thickness over time.

View attachment 35630

Your period correct rudder might look like the one on the right, the Elephant Ear. Better options are the Spoon Tip that was used through the 1960s. If you need a rudder let the group know, there are different size vertical hinge plates for the Sailfish series versus the fiberglass Sunfish vertical hinge plate.

View attachment 35632

View attachment 35631

The sail, mast and booms are the same dimensions as the Sunfish. 75 square feet sail. Here are some length and diameter measurements from the aluminum spars that could be used to make wooden spars.

Material: 6061-T6 Aluminum Alloy
Mast -
Style: Round Tube
Finish: Clear Anodized
Length: 10' (3.05 m)
OD: 2-1/4" (57.15 mm)
Wall Thickness: .083" (2.11 mm)

Spars -
Style: Round Tube
Finish: Clear Anodized
Length: 13' 8" (4.17 m)
OD 1-1/2" (38.1 mm)
Wall Thickness: .065" (1.65 mm)

I have the different rudder I posted, do you think I should use it or should I modify it and make an elephant ear type rudder?

The spoon tip (2nd Gen 1960-1971) or 1971 and later shape 1971 (New Style)would be better for the Super Sailfish. Shown below is the Spoon Tip, which we upgraded on ZIP. The Elephant Ear (1st Gen) is too small. The 1st Gen 31 inch daggerboard is too small also, unless you prefer sideways sailing and gybing to get anywhere...you should have heard Skipper giving salty sailor feedback from Sea Trials with the First Gen blades...

Zip Gen 2 rudder.jpg
Zip Gen 2 rudder.jpg

The Elephant Ear (1st Gen) is too small. The 1st Gen 31 inch daggerboard is too small also, unless you prefer sideways sailing and gybing to get anywhere...you should have heard Skipper giving salty sailor feedback from Sea Trials with the First Gen blades...

In order to use the 1971 New Style rudder assembly you'd need to add mounting shim(s), or drill different holes in the stainless gudgeon.

There is one crossover year, around 1971, that uses the new shape rudder blade on the old style rudder assembly hardware that fit on the fiberglass Sunfish, with a reinforcing bracket on the rudder head. That rudder head bracket would be optimum for the old style rudder assembly. Hard to find but keep an eye on ebay. You would also have to change the vertical hinge plate to the shorter vertical hinge plate that fits on the wooden boats with shorter transoms and move up the lower rudder strap.

IMG_0221.jpg

Lower Left, 1960-1971, Upper Left 1971, Upper Right 1952ish-1960.

IMG_0218.jpg

So there is actually a Pre 1st Gen, looked kind of like a big gate hinge that screwed to the deck. I don't think it had the latch plate on the keel, or the spring plate. Shown below are the original and only Alcort model at the time, the Sailfish, later designated as the Standard Sailfish or Sailfish 12.

IMG_6144.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!
I think I can easily modify the rudder I have, to the new style rudder with old hardware.
Tough getting material with the shutdown but, I have most of what I need.
Daggerboard is all set, after mods, 40", rudder and grab rails next.

Let me know about that old sailfish in schenectady.

Thanks again, Chuck

Nice truck, and you're the coolest kid on the block now. When you Relaunch you can take a few pictures and submit them to WoodenBoat. If they publish your photos you get a free hat and free copy of the magazine.

That's a nice score, not too many boats have that Alcort tag. Make sure you get that gooseneck switched around to the other side. And thanks for jumpin in to rescue another vintage Alcort.

Thanks for the photos.

Yes. I've used resorcinol glue; but today, the choices of "glues" has expanded. I'd pick through the choices of epoxies.

BTW, pre-war plywood was bonded together with cow's blood. :oops:

Animal glue (horse hoof mostly) was also popular :)

Nice truck, and you're the coolest kid on the block now. When you Relaunch you can take a few pictures and submit them to WoodenBoat. If they publish your photos you get a free hat and free copy of the magazine.

That's a nice score, not too many boats have that Alcort tag. Make sure you get that gooseneck switched around to the other side. And thanks for jumpin in to rescue another vintage Alcort.

Thanks for the photos.

94 chevy 2500, thanks, Thank you for posting it. It was a great find. Will do on the gooseneck. Most parts are in good shape. I little sanding and some paint will get her in the water. I'll be sure to submit the pics. Should I do the sailfish as well?

20200508_111916.jpg
1st coat on modified dagger board

Attachments

• 20200508_111929.jpg
    20200508_111929.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • 20200508_111953.jpg
    20200508_111953.jpg
    880.7 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: tag
Sorry for hijacking your thread Chuck, but I wanted to share an update on my Sailfish restoration and thought you might enjoy it. I had to put work on hold over the winter since I'm working out side, but was able to start again towards the end of March.

Managed to scrape/sand the old blue paint off, bring the boat down to raw wood. I then stained it with a water-based stain and coated the entire hull with penetrating epoxy. Over the last week I started laying down primer for my accent paint. If the rain holds off I'm hoping to finish painting within a week or two and start putting her back together.

I also modified a set of pintels to replace the original rudder hardware. Haven't tested it yet, but know I can get the rudder on and off and that it will be in line with the daggerboard. Will share pictures once it's back together.

20200508_122441.jpg
20200330_200219.jpg
20191102_185012.jpg

20200508_122441.jpg

Picked up an aluminum mast and spars for the super sailfish, not period correct but, totally sailable. :)
I now have all the parts and pieces for 4 out of 5 boats. Still need a mast for the o'day javelin.

5? Super sailfish - 80% ready - all parts
57 Sunfish - 50% - all parts
Minifish - 98% - all parts - can sail as is
Sail board - 98% - all parts - Can break my neck - as is lol
Oday Javelin - 95% - need mast

Getting there

Back