Early 50s sailfish restore

chucklane92

Fair winds and following seas
Just started, should be fun!

Attachments

• sailfish.jpg
    sailfish.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 171
Only if it has a serial tag on it somewhere. The Sailfish 14 aka Super Sailfish came out around 1951. Seems like the factory built production stopped around the time the fiberglass Super Sailfish MKII started in 1959, but the factory kits continued to the late 1960s.

It should be 13' 7" which makes it a Super Sailfish. Also it has the 3 loop handrail, where as the Standard Sailfish was 11' 7".

The boats that had tags had the tags up by the bow drain plug or amidships close to the mast step.

Check our blog for information on the Super Sailfish and Standard Sailfish.

Nice project... it's cool to see someone bring an old boat back to life. A little love, a little elbow grease, perhaps some new fittings & sail gear, and that boat will be looking good on the water! A classic too, always a plus when cruising the waterfront, lol. :rolleyes:

It should be 13' 7" which makes it a Super Sailfish. Also it has the 3 loop handrail, where as the Standard Sailfish was 11' 7".

The boats that had tags had the tags up by the bow drain plug or amidships close to the mast step.

Check our blog for information on the Super Sailfish and Standard Sailfish.
You are correct! 13'7" Super sailfish which makes it 1958 at the newest?

Last edited:
there is a drilled hole on the deck about a foot behind the stem and also one in the stern, drains I believe although the one on to is a bit confusing

The drain on top actually makes the most sense to me, you could flip the boat and tip the stern a small amount and water would drain well there. We have also seen them on the side up by the bow. And on the stern, they are usually placed up high, above the waterline.....hahahaha I said waterline on a Sailfish....you will be awash most of the time, be prepared and enjoy!

Are the booms wooden too?

The drain on top actually makes the most sense to me, you could flip the boat and tip the stern a small amount and water would drain well there. We have also seen them on the side up by the bow. And on the stern, they are usually placed up high, above the waterline.....hahahaha I said waterline on a Sailfish....you will be awash most of the time, be prepared and enjoy!

Are the booms wooden too?
yes

Merry Christmas, Season's Greetings and Happy Holidays!

For your daggerboard, I'd suggest upgrading to the longer daggerboards that came with 1960s fiberglass SUNfish. The spoon tip board from the 60s is a good board, the Shadow board (shadow of its former self) is okay and the Barrington daggerboard works great. The key is the length, the boat tacks better with the longer daggerboard.

Now if you want period correct for boat shows get the 31 inch daggerboard on the left, that is correct for wooden Sailfish, Super Sailfish, fiberglass Super Sailfish MK II and wooden Sunfish. Their keels are not designed with as deep of a V as the fiberglass Sunfish. The second board from the left is the Spoon Tip, 3rd over is the Shadow Board and far right is the Barrington. Ebay or this Forum's Wanted Ad section are good places to find them. Older wooden boards may fit in the trunk better as they have shrunk a bit in thickness over time.

IMG_3420.jpg

Your period correct rudder might look like the one on the right, the Elephant Ear. Better options are the Spoon Tip that was used through the 1960s. If you need a rudder let the group know, there are different size vertical hinge plates for the Sailfish series versus the fiberglass Sunfish vertical hinge plate.

IMG_4853.jpg

Daggerboard & Rudder (1).jpg

The sail, mast and booms are the same dimensions as the Sunfish. 75 square feet sail. Here are some length and diameter measurements from the aluminum spars that could be used to make wooden spars.

Material: 6061-T6 Aluminum Alloy
Mast -
Style: Round Tube
Finish: Clear Anodized
Length: 10' (3.05 m)
OD: 2-1/4" (57.15 mm)
Wall Thickness: .083" (2.11 mm)

Spars -
Length: 13' 8" (4.17 m)
OD 1-1/2" (38.1 mm)
Wall Thickness: .065" (1.65 mm)

Chuck,
I have a period correct 31" board I'd likely be willing to sell. I took Charlie's advice and bought a longer board but want to make sure it fits first.
Mike

Not the kinda stripper most truck drivers wanna see, lol... but once you're past that ugly task, things get better and there's more fun involved. Did you say earlier what color scheme you're gonna use for the hull & deck? I always liked that part, choosing colors & making my Laser or Minifish look like a million bucks. :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas, Season's Greetings and Happy Holidays!

For your daggerboard, I'd suggest upgrading to the longer daggerboards that came with 1960s fiberglass SUNfish. The spoon tip board from the 60s is a good board, the Shadow board (shadow of its former self) is okay and the Barrington daggerboard works great. The key is the length, the boat tacks better with the longer daggerboard.

Now if you want period correct for boat shows get the 31 inch daggerboard on the left, that is correct for wooden Sailfish, Super Sailfish, fiberglass Super Sailfish MK II and wooden Sunfish. Their keels are not designed with as deep of a V as the fiberglass Sunfish. The second board from the left is the Spoon Tip, 3rd over is the Shadow Board and far right is the Barrington. Ebay or this Forum's Wanted Ad section are good places to find them. Older wooden boards may fit in the trunk better as they have shrunk a bit in thickness over time.

View attachment 35630

Your period correct rudder might look like the one on the right, the Elephant Ear. Better options are the Spoon Tip that was used through the 1960s. If you need a rudder let the group know, there are different size vertical hinge plates for the Sailfish series versus the fiberglass Sunfish vertical hinge plate.

View attachment 35632

View attachment 35631

The sail, mast and booms are the same dimensions as the Sunfish. 75 square feet sail. Here are some length and diameter measurements from the aluminum spars that could be used to make wooden spars.

Material: 6061-T6 Aluminum Alloy
Mast -
Length: 10' (3.05 m)
OD: 2-1/4" (57.15 mm)
Wall Thickness: .083" (2.11 mm)

Spars -
Length: 13' 8" (4.17 m)
OD 1-1/2" (38.1 mm)
Wall Thickness: .065" (1.65 mm)
Awesome, Thank you!

Not the kinda stripper most truck drivers wanna see, lol... but once you're past that ugly task, things get better and there's more fun involved. Did you say earlier what color scheme you're gonna use for the hull & deck? I always liked that part, choosing colors & making my Laser or Minifish look like a million bucks. :rolleyes:

I would like to go natural for the deck, we will see what the options are once I have it stripped

That would look pretty cool... glare reduction is good too with that choice, as opposed to a gleaming white deck, lol. :eek:

Moi, I always liked the gleaming white deck, but I had good shades to compensate for it, aye? :cool:

I'm back to football & cold beer, this weekend will be great for football fans... :rolleyes:

progress- they used regular steel screws. UGH!

Attachments

• 20191226_123533.jpg
    20191226_123533.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 20191228_093030.jpg
    20191228_093030.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
  • strip progress.jpg
    strip progress.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 91
ended up cutting the handrails with a sawsall above the deck, now I will make new with mahogany, was hoping to keep original but, rusty steel screws killed that idea.

If you go into the Files section og SunfishSailor groupsio there are pdfs fo Sailfish Wood Kit Assembly Instructions. Within the instructions are a few pictures and lots of information on how the boats go together, and little tidbits like measurements for handrail placement.

Sailfish Wood Kit Instructions

Let me know

I have a few things I'd sell:
- period correct dagger board - $75
- used sail with Sailfish class logo - $50
- rudder hardware - $75

All prices are plus shipping costs.

Attachments

• 20191229_152059.jpg
    20191229_152059.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 20191229_151816.jpg