Drying out a Sunfish

sunfishkid

I've read about hair dryers and light bulbs to dry a fish out. I got bored in New England Feb. I made a cover for pellet stove ex. Blower to create volume and piped it up. I took like 125 lbs. Off this hull. Did use hair dryer for awhile too. I think I got it somewhere 140 #. Ran blower and pellet stove 2 months non-stop during freezing temp. Going to rig and launch next week.

Attachments

• 20160401_103650.jpg
    20160401_103650.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 83
I've read about hair dryers and light bulbs to dry a fish out. I got bored in New England Feb. I made a cover for pellet stove ex. Blower to create volume and piped it up. I took like 125 lbs. Off this hull. Did use hair dryer for awhile too. I think I got it somewhere 140 #. Ran blower and pellet stove 2 months non-stop during freezing temperatures. Going to rig and launch next week.
Freezing temperatures are good for drying out—volume certainly helps. :) Do you have a second inspection port to vent the moist air out? The transparent box keeps the elements out, I see. You have a black hose "piped" to a venting fixture of some kind. Was that particular vent helpful, other than drawing cold air into the house? :confused: I'd expect a hair dryer to wear out fairly fast—how did yours do—and what brand was it? I also have asbestos siding on my house. :eek: ("Inherited" asbestos through a house purchase :(). How does one make repairs to asbestos siding if there are missing pieces?

Can you tell it's still rainy here? :p

Freezing temperatures are good for drying out—volume certainly helps. :) Do you have a second inspection port to vent the moist air out? The transparent box keeps the elements out, I see. You have a black hose "piped" to a venting fixture of some kind. Was that particular vent helpful, other than drawing cold air into the house? :confused: I'd expect a hair dryer to wear out fairly fast—how did yours do—and what brand was it? I also have asbestos siding on my house. :eek: ("Inherited" asbestos through a house purchase :(). How does one make repairs to asbestos siding if there are missing pieces?

Can you tell it's still rainy here? :p

Light and Variable Winds,

Happened across this post and noticed the question on Asbestos shakes. Hoping I can help you out here as you helped me on my post about the Sailfish. Home Depot believe it or not! Probably available from other vendors as well I presume. Brand called Weatherside... I used to own a rental property that had asbestos siding as well and had the same dilemma and searched for years. Then came across these Fiber Cement Siding Shingles in Home Depot's inventory. They are available in all the famous styles or patterns and sizes of the asbestos counterparts. Here is an excerpt from homedepot dot com;
Weatherside fiber cement siding is the one and only solution for replacing or repairing old asbestos siding shingles. It is available in a variety of sizes and shapes to match many of the old siding shingles installed over the last 60 years. Unlike some of the original siding shingles that it replaces, Weatherside pre-primed siding shingles contain no asbestos. It is easy to install, after properly removing the old siding, simply nail the WeatherSide siding in place and paint. WeatherSide is even resistant to warping, denting, rotting, expansion/contraction and termite infiltration.

Just a word of caution, when removing the broken asbestos shingles wear gloves, respirator, not a bad idea to wear a tyvek style suit just to prevent any cross contamination. Recommend wrapping the pieces up in a good solid trash bag and getting rid of them. Don't attempt on a windy day either if you can help it.

Hope the info helps you out.

Regards,
Brian

I've read about hair dryers and light bulbs to dry a fish out. I got bored in New England Feb. I made a cover for pellet stove ex. Blower to create volume and piped it up. I took like 125 lbs. Off this hull. Did use hair dryer for awhile too. I think I got it somewhere 140 #. Ran blower and pellet stove 2 months non-stop during freezing temp. Going to rig and launch next week.
That's some yankee ingenuity right there!

"...Weatherside fiber cement siding is the one and only solution for replacing or repairing old asbestos siding shingles..."
Since this is "off-topic", I've shortened your reply. Your reply will show up in Google searches, so your information will eventually help hundreds of homeowners with the same broken siding. I wouldn't have thought to go to Home Depot for asbestos siding alternative replacements! :oops: (So, thanks...) :)

Back