Drying hulls

meech

Drying two hulls. Went all out on one and bought a 6" tubeaxial duct booster fan for one. Then as I was taking a microwave to the trash place, I noticed the perfectly sized fan on the inside and so pulled it apart and have that on the second hull. Covered in black plastic to hopefully absorb some sunlight. Opened the topside drain plugs and I feel a little air being pushed out. Next project is modifying a trailer with some unistrut to carry these.

IMG_3778.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

which direction are the fans blowing? are you blowing air into the hulls, or sucking air out? pretty neat setup with both the fans. did you weigh them each prior to the start? how much did they weigh?

jeez, is this 20 questions or what?! :)

keep us posted on the weight-loss program.

cheers, my2fish

If you have your boats on a serious weight-loss program using a single, central port, you might increase air flow by ducting the incoming air through a dryer vent hose that allows an equivalent volume of air to escape around it.

Attachments

• Air Exchange.jpg
    Air Exchange.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 20
Must be exciting having 2 Fish drying out. l would agree with Wayne has mentioned above, the system should be balanced with dry intake air and exhausting moist air with ducts and fans matching to give maximum flow and circulation. Two inspection ports in each hull make this easy to achieve and should expedite the process.
><>Don<><

One of the hulls actually has a gash 4" long toward the bow so it's seeing air exchange... that's also on the "to-do" list but we're still seeing 40 degree nights and I don't currently have basement access (the reason why these suckers are sitting on the back patio). Expoxy weather should be here soon and then I can start scratching my head on how to handle that one (it's not on a flat spot). The hull sans gash could use a second hole for proper exhaust but I just hate to add it. I'll see how this setup works... may have to hack away later. I weighed them last fall and can't remember exact amount but it was over 150 lbs each. I have one sail which I've patched with sail tape, replaced grommets, and taken to the local tailor for additional stitching. I need to order a second sail so I've been following the great "Neil Pryde vs. Intensity" debate. One rudder is being revarnished, the second is clamped in a vice to hopefully reverse the bowing I noticed before revarnishing. Whew! Thanks for the comments!

Back