Drain Plug Question

Robsail

Hi,
I am wondering if never removing the plug could cause damage to the boat, especially the hull? I stored my boat (circa 96') for about a year and a half to two years upside down (on the deck) in a covered area in sunny south florida without removing the drain plug. Could the heat have caused the hull to change or become softer? The cockpit walls on the boat seem a little flexable when I push them, but not too flexible. Any insight?
Thanks,
Robby

not if your boat has a breather hole under the toe strap.

i don't think older boats have them

There is not a breather hole under the toe strap. What kind of damage could leaving the plug in for two years do? And what should i look for to see if there has been damage done? Thanks so much
Robby

Hello Rob,
The breather hole is located under the spot where the main sheet block and hiking strap meet at the front of the cockpit... It is really small, like 1/8" in diameter. If you didn't have one your boat would try to expand and contract as it heated and cooled. The breather hole allows air to escape and enter as the interior temperature changes.
As long as you don't have any leaks and have left water in the hull for a long period of time you should be fine.
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Back