Drain plug for a 1977 sunfish

sun1977

I just got a 1977 sunfish but the drain plug is missing. I need some help locating it. The plug is in the back of it. It has a white plastic housing with what it looks 2 slots for the plug. Thanks.

WG,
If you are talking about the drain plug on the right side at the end of the splash guard and it is plastic, try your SF dealer (online or local). If it is a metal srew in style, try Howie at AMF Bpoat Parts (http://www.geocities.com/amfboats/). If it installed as an aftermarket drain on the transome by the rudder, you may be able to find a replacement plug at Wal-Mart or a local marine dealer. You have to know the diameter to find the correct size. The type I am talking about are rubber and brass with a lever you fold flat to secure in the drain port. Good Luck

Thanks for the reply. It is installed an aftermarket on the transome by the rudder. Any idea why you will add an extra one? Does it have to to with the 2 inspection ports, 1 in the fron and 1 the back?

WG,
If you look at most other Sunfish, they do not have a transome drain. Those that have Inspection Ports installed (typically 1 behind the splashrail and 1 in front of the rudder), like yours seems to have, normally do not have (or need) a transome drain as they do not function together. Inspection ports allow you to look inside to see if you are taking on water and to sponge out any that does enter. They also allow the interior of the hull to be dryed out should the foam blocks become wet or waterlogged. Some people with out Inspection ports have installed transome drains, thinking that all they have to do is remove the plug and raise the bow to remove any water. Should any water be discovered inside the hull, you have a leak that should be taken care of. Windline Sails How-To Section (http://www.windline.net/index.html) has directions for finding that leak, drying the inside out and how to fix the leak. Other entries in this section of the forum have additional answers on leaks/drying out a hull.

WG,
In re-reading your first post, you say "It has a white plastic housing with what it looks 2 slots for the plug." That sounds like it may be a drain from a Marine Dealer. You may want to take a picture of the current plug and take it with you when looking for a replacement. If you can not find the correct plug, you may have to replace the existing with a new one of the same size or remove and repair (plug) the hole with fiberglass and epoxy. In my opinion, a transome drain is not needed, especially if inspection ports are installed or you are planning to install them.

Thanks for all the replies. I will take a picture and hunt it down. I got the Sunfish hull as a freebie while getting another older "EBAY deal" sailboat. I fell in love with the Sunfish and want fix it. It had been, for many years, uncovered under some trees. After cleaning it, I noticed cracks in the hull. Not too deep, looks more like stress fractures. Other than a fiberglass blod, is there another way to fix these with minimum refinishing?

WG,
Check the thread "Any awy to fix crazing?". Also do a seach for Cracks, leaks and such. The SF Class Page, "Tips and Tricks" has an article on gelcote repair. Spend some time doing it right and you will be rewarded. Good Luck

Back