Downhaul Blocks

LaserBoy

Hi, I was just wondering what are the best blocks to use for the downhaul in a laser. I cant decide which would be better to use, the harken # 407, which is used in the middle of the vang i believe, or the harken # 227. the line I am using is the 4mm swiftcord. any advice would be great.
Thanks!

Depends what ratio you want. The 10:1 you can get from using 2, 407,s or 2, 227's (one attached to the primary line and the other to the vang fitting) means a fair amount of line in the boat to get tangled but the benefit is that the operating loads are lower and you can get a bit more precision. I tend to favour 8:1 using a 406 and a 405 on the vang fitting. This results in what I think is a better compromise between tangling and operating loads. Having said that, in Australia, a 6:1 ratio is very popular using say Ronstan Rf20111 and RF20101. (Perhaps Aussies spend more time in the gym!). As for the difference between the air and micro blocks ((407 vs 227) I think you are better going for the slightly lighter and compact airblock as it will release a little easier at the windward mark.

Never worth having the micro blocks. They even have a higher breaking load. Always the air blocks!

Everyone in the UK also has 6:1 as well.

When I purchased my three year old Laser XD it came equiped with a 3:1 downhaul in Holt 20mm blocks - I've upgraded it to 6:1 using 16mm Harken air-blocks and I find it a real improvement. Incidentally my daughters new Laser Bug came equiped with the new Selden blocks - they look very good indeed, very light and it'll be interesting to see how well they wear,

Nigel

Great! when I bought my laser, it came with a 6:1 downhaul using two ronstan blocks, and that is what I still intend to use on lighter days, but many people were telling me that the upgrade to a 10:1 system is essential for heavier air. Thanks for all the help!

Back