Double trailer design idea

Mashmaster

I saw the design for converting a single trailer to hold two sunfish or a sunfish and a laser.

Based on this design Trailer Guide Posts - Small Boats Magazine from Signal Charlie. I was thinking about copying this almost exactly except instead of having solid crossbars, using wide strapping between the posts to cradle the top boat. I would also run a strap from the trailer frame up over the top boat and back down to keep downward pressure.

Strapping material like this: 4 in. x 30 ft. Cargo Strap with Flat Hook

Any thoughts?

Thoughts are that the guide posts flex, boats will bounce and it will be hard to secure them snugly. Ask me how I know :)

The most secure rig we had had an aluminaum cross bar bolted on with ubolts, made the Picker Run from Pensacola to Grand Island NY and back.

Double Stack Magic Tilt trailer.jpg

Bring duct tape to secure wooden spars to the aluminum spars, as the wood spars flex more...ask me how I know...

Double trailer loaded.jpg

You can suspend a third boat below the crossbars.

Zsa Zsa Sweetness Chip.jpg

and the second most secure had 2x4 bunks tied to the guide posts. That rig was for a short jaunt about 30 minutes away, with WINNIE being about 40 pounds lighter..

Zip Winnie trailer 2.jpg

...wide enough for the boat... :) Actually just over 4 feet and I'd add another 6-8 inches to lay the spars. Probably want to sew up some spar bags.

Your trailer side frame might dictate that, but we had the forward bar just ahead of the coaming and the aft bar just behind the cockpit.

Back