Dorsal Performance Outhaul - Have one?

Bungo Pete

Hello Everyone:

I am looking for anyone who has a Dorsal Performance Outhaul. The reason is that I have both the clew strap and the Harken clew hook and I am seeking to obtain pictures of the attachment point between the two components. What I want to do is join the hook and strap in the same manner. Dorsal is no longer in business, so I can't look at their website to determine how it was done.

I know what some of you are thinking ("why doesn't he just go out and get a Clew Sleeve?") Well, I would except that my total upgrade budget for 2008 will be spent on a Cunningham/Outhaul kit. Besides I hate to waste a perfectly good strap and hook.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

They had some good stuff when they were up and running, I know I want that thing that wraps around the lower mast to keep the vang and DH in order...

I would just slide the strap through the hole in the hook...

Ross:

Last season, I tried putting the strap through the hole in the hook and the result was that the hook did not rock and pivot in the same manner as when it was tied to the boom. It seems to me that this is important when the outhaul is played or when tacking or gybing. The strap did not slide on the boom as well either. I think this is why Dorsal developed the product in the first place.

Don't know what to tell ya, I'm pretty sure that if you want to use the clew hook, the strap goes though the hole. Not many people use the hook, because the clew can get closer to the boom with just the strap.

Ross:

Everything I've seen, with the exception of the Dorsal product, was an either/or kind of thing. Either you used the strap alone and used the hook through the clew grommet, or you tied the hook to the boom and didn't use the strap.

If I can't find a good picture of one, I will just take a SWAG at it and have a local canvas guy I know sew it on accordingly.

I've seen it done the way I described, but it's not wonderful. If your primary goal is racing, then stay away from the hook.

I would be what you'd describe as a "rec racer" so convenience and speed of rigging is important.

Hopefully someone out there in LaserLand has a pic

So corrct me if i dont have this strate you want to know how the clew and the strap hook together in the system with the outhaul because if you do I think I have a picture or a place I can direct you to.

Hey Cap:

Here is the situation. I need a close-up picture (or two) of the Dorsal Performance Outhaul so I can see how they attached the Harken Clew Hook to the Laser Clew Strap. I have both components and I want to do the same thing.

Back