Dolly

Alex V

Hi, I have been looking for a dolly but I cannot find a cheap one, I was wondering if anyone knew a way to make one.

Not worth it. Buy a decent one. Your boat and you will thank you.
I'll have to agree with that statement. If you try and build one you will probably end up spending 200 dollars on something thats going to; last one season, be hard to use, and might damage your hull. The Seitech dolly is transportable, light , it folds up to a really small size, it has interchangeable parts, and it's not damaging to your hull. If could build one with at least half of those features for under 200 dollars let me know. I've had to deal with home made dollies before and I've had to deal with Seitech, the Seitech experience is a good experience. You can find them used in the upper 200 dollar range, I promise you won't be disappointed in it.

I've seen a million types of homebuilt dollies, and they all have one thing in common - they all fell apart within a year or two. I've had a Seitech for 10+ years, and the only required maintenance was replacing a couple of innertubes.

There's a reason you don't see many used Seitech dollys for sale, (unless with boat) it's because the quality is so good!

Do your self a favor and just buy a Seitech, you won't regret it.

The dolly breaks down into three main pieces - the rear beam with the sling, a middle section and the front section with the handle. The rear to middle is via wingnuts. The middle to front is via push buttons.

I have seen some postings about people who were happy with dollies other than Seitech, but are similar. I have also seen some with plans for home built dollies that people were happy with. However, I purchased a Seitech for myself because I had once tried to build a homemade dolly for my Sunfish and it was worthless. To build a good one requires time, effort, money and some plans or instructions. Even then you may not be happy with the result.

My biggest complaint with the Seitech is that to keep the stern from dragging, you have lean over to hold the handle low enough. I wish the handle had an extension. However, the construction is pretty good, and I know if I ever need to sell it, it is the brand people are looking for.

I have the $100 insert in the centerboard trunk dolly for my Sunfish. If anyone wants to buy it let me know. However, there are a couple of problems with this type of dolly. First, it only works on hard surfaces. It is useless or worse than useless on sand etc. Second, it balances funny. On a Sunfish the slot if forward and rather than pulling from the bow you tend to want to pull it from the stern. Third I hear it is not good for the centerboard trunk.

However, it is compact and easy to store, so you don't have to worry about people stealing it and if you are on a hard surface you are good to go.

i saw the optimist dolly and it is inserted through the centerboard trunk can this be done with the lasers?

no, it will not work on lasers. you need the stability of a seitech or similar for all the wheeling around that you will do. cheap imitations or gimmicks like the thru-centerboard will end up costing you money when it falls over and damages the boat. suck it up and buy a new or used seitech or similar.

The Seitech comes with a choice of 2 different wheel sizes, anyone knows which one is appropriate ?

From the Seitech site...

• A WHEELS – measure 14"x5" – best for use with boats under 250 lbs and typically moved over hard surfaces
  • F WHEELS – measure 19"x9" – best for use on any size boat typically moved over soft, sandy or rough surfaces.

Real life - most everyone has the A wheels and they work fine on all but really soft deep sand. Even there they work, it just requires more effort to move it around..

Back