dolly with bow support vs 'nose' support

Hello all.

I would like to introduce myself: I am Duncan, 42 years old and started Laser sailing this summer in a course on one of Hollands beautiful lakes. Now I am collecting information on which boat to buy for next season.

My question regards dollies/trolleys: Some types have a metal semi-circular support for the deck edge on the front of the boat (Windesign/OptiParts), while others have a rubber support for the forward part of the hull
(alu ones that can be disassembled).

Which type is to be preferred with respect to launching and storage?

Best,
Duncan

Hi Duncan

The bow support (semi circular that the bow/deck edge sits on) is better IMHO as it allows locking in the bow with a short piece of line (or the tail end of your mainsheet in a pinch) . This is helpful when the surface is bumpy or when it's windy and the sail it up and attached to the boom. In both cases the bow wants to lift up and move out of alignment when it's not tied down.

The rubber support on the bottom of the dolly (Seitech) is mainly there to keep from the aluminum from scratching the bottom if the bow should fall off the bow support

Thank you, that's clear.

Do you also use one of these Rooster straps to lift the boat (temporarily) from the two deck-edge supports, while rolling over a bumpy surface?

Back