Dolly to Trailer- How To?

RomanSailer

I know the best way to trailer is upside down, placing the weight on the deck. My question is - Whats the best way to go from the dolly onto the trailer, while "flipping" the boat. And here, "best" means safe for my fingers, toes, and back (I aint young, but I aint weak) while not scratching boat hull, snapping off fittings, or making load breaking noises, cuse words, etc. And if this all covered somewhere, a pointer would be appreciated. Thanx.

Have a buddy... or ask for help from someone nearby.

I have a trailer setup where my dolly rolls on the trailer and clicks in.. I transport my dolly deck up on the dolly... I've never had an issue and it is so easy to load and unload. However... I havn't done any long distance traveling with it recently. Last time I drove over 4 hrs with the boat she was deck down...

I know the best way to trailer is upside down, placing the weight on the deck. My question is - Whats the best way to go from the dolly onto the trailer, while "flipping" the boat. And here, "best" means safe for my fingers, toes, and back (I aint young, but I aint weak) while not scratching boat hull, snapping off fittings, or making load breaking noises, cuse words, etc. And if this all covered somewhere, a pointer would be appreciated. Thanx.

We set the boat on its side gunwale, either on a life jacket or on the dolly strap as a resting and turning point. Still takes two if you like to keep your boat shiny.

I've seen a nice set up with storing the boat on the dolly and rolling the boat up w/dolly onto a trailer and hauling it that way. Back in February I saw one of these contraptions heading up I-85 into VA. It look really nice, but I have no idea how you do it.

Otherwise there's the "Trailex" brand "gunnel" support trailer with a pivot bow as well as the "Kitty Hawk" brand, (which is less expensive at under $700.00) and you can pivot the boat from the trailer onto the dolly and vice-versa. I had a Kitty Hawk for years and loved it.

I think someone posted pics here of the first option, but I'm not gonna search for it. Try searching "trailering" topics. It's here some where.

Otherwise there's the "Trailex" brand "gunnel" support trailer with a pivot bow as well as the "Kitty Hawk" brand, (which is less expensive at under $700.00) and you can pivot the boat from the trailer onto the dolly and vice-versa. I had a Kitty Hawk for years and loved it.

What's the best way to tie the dolly to the boat/trailer in the Kittyhawk setup?

What's the best way to tie the dolly to the boat/trailer in the Kittyhawk setup?

Most people flip their dollies upside down on top of the boat, with the handle facing aft. I use a bungee cord to secure the handle to the gudgeons, and then a couple more between the sling and the trailer frame (on each side of the boat).

I have trailered this way for thousands of miles and have had no problems.

I agree that the best systems (best for your back at least) are the ones that let you simply pull the boat on the sidepost supported dolly onto a low roadbase trailer and just tie the whole lot down.

If you must invert the hull so it is deck-down on your trailer why not tie the boat to the dolly front and rear and then get someone to help lifting and turning the lot (one person bow the other stern) onto its side, change grip, then turn to deck down and put the lot on the trailer.. Then just loop tiedowns around the dolly to the trailer.

The dolly travels easily on top of an inverted hull on roofracks and can be used as tie down points so you don't mark the hull.

Back