Dolly tie down question

altair

I recently purchased a seitech dolly for launching my SF. However, I cannot figure out a good way to tie it to the top of my SF during transportation. Does anyone have a good method for tying it to the top of the SF?

If Sunfish is upside down the answer is easy - just position the dolly the same way you would as if it were carrying the boat, upside down of course. Tie it to the trailer or boat at the front - tie the axles or support arms to the trailer with bungee cords at the back.

If you trail the Sunfish the right way up, the dolly fits better if you put it on the boat upside down and back to front with the dolly handle over the transom.

OG has it right. Both methods are the simplest and easiest ways to carry your dolly. If you are concerned about extra drag caused by the dolly tires sticking up in the air, remove them and put them in the tow vehicle. I would not bother doing this on short day trips, but on longer trips where you will be staying for a couple of days.

if i follow you correctly and if my transporter is the same, I use a short line with a dog leash type clip on one end to tie down the fish's bow by running the line under the handle and around the dolly handle. then i just use a web, hold down with an adjustable buckle to hold the boat's mide section.

LO,

Don't just clip a line around the bow and dollie handle and tie the rest with rope. You want a good, snug secure tiedown of both the boat to the trailer and the dollie to the boat and/or trailer. Like Old Geezer said, deck down will have the dollie upside down on the boat (will look like you are transporting the boat on the dollie, only inverted). Deck up, the dollie upside down and backwards (dollie handle over the stern). Three points on the dollie will be secured, the handle and both sides near the axle. As light as a Seitech type dollie is, I prefer ratchet straps to bungee cords or rope to secure the dollie (and the boat) .

Back