dolly materials/put-together

markhamlin

So we've acquired a laser 2, without trailer or dolly, so we're hoping to modify our current trailer with a 2 boat rack, and make a dolly for the laser 2. When I say we, I mean me. my dad's too overworked now, and he's ready to give up on the laser 2 (we dont' have rigging, and can't find used rigging), so I'm hoping if I make a dolly for it, maybe it'll help the "now we can't just give up on this boat"

So, we built an ABS dolly for my laser (1), but I have doubts of it's long-term strength because the side/support posts have bent under the weight, so I figure it can't hold another 70 lbs or so for a laser 2. I've been looking at Moths for fun (those boats are so awesome...), and on the homemade part they talked about building the wings with aluminum pipe and then fiberglassing the pipe joints together. Would this method of connecting aluminum work for a dolly? (i currently dont 'know how to fiberglass , but i'd be fine with learning) Is there another way to connect aluminum (or galvanized steel) piping together?

I'll probably only be able to get one trip to the hardware store from my mom, so I want to make sure I have everything planned out so I wont have to spend a few hours in the store after school...

Thanks,
-Mark H.

I ended up making the dolly out of wood. The frame is strong enough, but I'm using a piece of carpet as the sling. (about 5" wide carpet)

Has anybody used carpet as a dolly sling before? I'm worried it might snap, it seems pretty stretchy. Maybe I should pad the wooden axle below the sling incase it does break or stretch...

Back