does your mast fall out?

M-323

Anyone ever had a mast fall out after a capsize? aparently the only thing holding the mast in, is the cunningham attached to the tack of the sail. does anyone use anything else? I was thinking maybe something that doesnt have to use the sail to hold the mast in - cause, if you are going downwind for instance, you usually want the cunningham off and if you wipe out and turtle, theres nothing holdin the mast in! -- Discuss.

Anyone ever had a mast fall out after a capsize? aparently the only thing holding the mast in, is the cunningham attached to the tack of the sail. does anyone use anything else? I was thinking maybe something that doesnt have to use the sail to hold the mast in - cause, if you are going downwind for instance, you usually want the cunningham off and if you wipe out and turtle, theres nothing holdin the mast in! -- Discuss.

The rules for the new rigging now require a mast retention line to hold the mast in the mast well. There are a number of ways to rig the line. I use a small line that goes through the deck block mount, around the mast and over the vang tang.

well, Im going to be replacing some... probably ALL of the cleats so I guess a couple of deck mounted eyes should do the trick.... Its not against any rule is it?

I just run a line through the eye's for the cunningham and outhaul then up around the boom vang tang. I also run my the bungee that holds my centerboard down through a loop in that line.

The rules for the new rigging now require a mast retention line to hold the mast in the mast well. There are a number of ways to rig the line. I use a small line that goes through the deck block mount, around the mast and over the vang tang.
It's mandatory irrespective of if you are using the new or old rigging. Further, the line must be capable of holding the rig in i.e. some people run the line so long that it won't hold the rig in and I've had to get them to tighten it.

well, Im going to be replacing some... probably ALL of the cleats so I guess a couple of deck mounted eyes should do the trick.... Its not against any rule is it?
You need to use the existing equipment, either the cunningham fairlead or the deck mounted block 0plate which replaced the the fairlead. Read through the rules attached (Rule 3b.xi) which indicate where the line needs to be attached to.

use a mast retaining line from the fairlead around the vang tang, if you're sailing solo its as important to have a mast retainer as wearing a pfd

mast retaining line from the fairlead around the vang tang

ok you loop it over the "vang tang" but what does it tie to on the deck? the only thing I have there is the fairlead for the Cunningham and two lines will not fit through it. Do I need to install another fairlead? or will that be against some rule?

-- also, would that not inhibit the mast from rotating? I mean, if its loose enough to rotate, and you turtle, the mast will be la few inches out of the hole (if not right out) - so even if its like half way out, that puts more pressure on the mast step, leverage you know? so you would need to have that retainer line tight, but if thats the case, the mast wont rotate? Im confused. Im mainly a big boat sailor. 99% of them do not have rotating masts and they have shrouds and stays to hold the mast in lol.

basically tie a bowline around the lower mast above the vang tang, this allows the mast to rotate, I wasn't clear enough before, if you tie the retainer to the tang it could prevent the mast from rotating

if you don't have the upgraded plate you should tie it to the fairlead, the retainer line should be thin like a shoelace sized line, if the 2 lines don't fit through the fairlead you should get some new lines,

cunningham line should be 5/32": http://www.apsltd.com/c-1603-Swiftcord-Maffioli.aspx
retainer line should be something like this: http://www.apsltd.com/c-1599-excel-vectran-marlow.aspx

Back