Does your Laser have a name?

kgodefrio

New to the NA Region, I have noticed while browsing regatta results that boat names are not listed...

Is it just space saving on the charts, or here in North America it isn't customary to name your Laser?

Martin

I don't think too many people actually name there boats. At regattas here, results are just listed by skipper's name and sail number.

However, I've named mine the "Water-llama" because it's the sure-footed steed of the sea!

I've also noticed that not a lot of Lasers have names. I don't know if this is the reason, but it may be because at the highest level of competition people are constantly updating hulls and sailing provided hulls to the point where there is no centimental value towards the boat anymore. They treat it purely as a racing machine.

I think it's always fun to name a boat, as to me it gives it character. Mine was already named when I bought it, and i'm not generally superstitious, but it's supposedly bad luck to re-name a boat. So I left it as Turnover, i thoght it was funny, the previous owners musn't have been very good at sailing.

YA I dunno here in alberta its like almost a Sailing team thing that you dont name your own boat the other member do like My Boat has been named "Mad Cow" Due to all of the I love albeta beef stickers i have and so on...My buddies Boat has Been named "Mullet time" due to his Crazy mullet that he was sporting last summer. So i think that Jackson has it right about the higher class guys but for us its just fun to name other peoples Boats.

When I first got my boat it had no name...So I gave it one. That name was Pork Hunt (think about it). People at my sailing club didn't like it as much as I did and I was asked to change it so the best I could come up with that I could actually do out of the leftover letters was Trebuchet (it's a type of medieval catapult that I am interested in). I might change it again to something better next season depending on how I feel about it then and whether or not I decide to belive in that bad luck thing.

Siege

Well, Jackson has a good point, changing hulls so often certainly keeps you from having much attachment to your Laser perhaps.

In Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay almost every Laser (Snipe, Optimist, 470, etc.) would have a name though. I named my first Laser "Muttley" ("Patán"), you know, the dog from the Wacky Race show. And my second Laser was called "Kotex" (needless to say, it was white...).

Martin

Hello Laserites,
Yes my new Laser does have a name, She is called Skulduggery, It stands for...
"Crafty deception or trickery or an instance of it" I plan on having it with a small skull and crossbones logo underneath it. I still haven't got it on my boat yet but it will be there soon...
I'm working on a name for my older boat too.... I'm thinking Ambuscade.. Definition is ....."To attack by surprise from a concealed place; to ambush"
Fitting names for Lasers I believe.... Well good night all!
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Mine is named "Dean Wormer Was Wrong". For those who get the reference, it's usually good for a laugh although it gets more and more obscure every year. . .

my dad's old star was red and its name was light district. so when he would go to work on it or sail on it he would say he was going to the red light district.

My boat's name is Merrily, but I haven't put it on the transom. What's the best way to put it on there? Has anyone used the plastic that you cut out and glue on?

Merrily/Janet

Janet, u can have the name manafactured as a sticker, i have no idea what u would call it in the US,

can anyone think of a name for my radial, sail number 182618 about 3days old, in race red??

144679 said:
Janet, u can have the name manafactured as a sticker, i have no idea what u would call it in the US,

can anyone think of a name for my radial, sail number 182618 about 3days old, in race red??

-Red Rocket
-spectrum
-race reddy

just some dumb ideas for yah.

144679 said:

Red Rover

Rediculous

Ready

Salsa

Bloody Mary

OK, with those last two I guess I'm getting hungry.

I named my first laser (which I still sail) Braecrest which is Scotish Gaelic for "whitecap" or "breaking waves" a good name for a Laser I reasoned, I'm also a little superstitous so I at least go to the effort of nicknaming each boat, and of course giving them a female persona, which tends to make my girlfriend jealous because I spend more time on the boat then with her, but thats a whole differant story...

I think I finally came up with a name for my boat: Meshugeneh, which means "crazy" in Yiddish. I wonder if I can get a transom decal in Hebrew lettering? he he. I'm going to keep that one on the list but am still thinking of other good names.

Hey, ya mines name is August. Two reasons 1) i got it in August 2)named after my dog who passed away recently (augistine or augi for short)...and as for putting the name on...i just use the good old sailing school way, some electrical tape on the transom.

Back