Does Anyone Know About Chrysler Sailboat?

jleonard99

Sunny Sailor
Hey everyone,
Someone offered to sell me there Chrysler Sailboat, I have a sunfish now and am considering having another boat for when relatives come into town. Does anyone know anything about these boats and performance. I hear it's about 15 feet long.

If it's a Chrysler Mutineer it should be a nice day sailor. Here's a handy buying
tip for sail boats. New sails often cost 3 time what you can buy the used boat for.
Consider that you're buying a set of used sails first and that the boat comes free with
the sails you are buying. In other words, price out news sails first then when you
go look at the boat make sure you have the owner spread the sails out on the grass
so you can inspect them. Small holes can be patched but blown-out sails are probably
not worth it.

If it's a Chrysler Mutineer it should be a nice day sailor. Here's a handy buying
tip for sail boats. New sails often cost 3 time what you can buy the used boat for.
Consider that you're buying a set of used sails first and that the boat comes free with
the sails you are buying. In other words, price out news sails first then when you
go look at the boat make sure you have the owner spread the sails out on the grass
so you can inspect them. Small holes can be patched but blown-out sails are probably
not worth it.
Thanks for the info and assistance.

'Back in the day' Chrysler made a number of sailboats, including some in the 14 ft range. Hence, you should be more specific about the boat that you are looking at.

'Back in the day' Chrysler made a number of sailboats, including some in the 14 ft range. Hence, you should be more specific about the boat that you are looking at.
Sorry for lack of specifics, I thought that could be a problem. I will be receiving more info later this week on the boat. I would really like to get a mini fish to go along with my sunfish though.

Most Chrysler boats had rounded bottoms like the laser, hence maybe a little more "tippy" than the hard chined Sunfish. Good average build boats though.

Chrysler made about a dozen different sailboats ranging from 13' to 26' long. They stopped making sailboats in 1980. Some of the molds got picked up by other manufacturers with continued production.

At 15', they made two models. The Man-O-War which has a single sail and the Mutineer, which also has a jib.

I have a 1975 Man-O-War in addition to my Sunfish.

The Man-O-War has a much larger cockpit and can comfortably sit two adults. There is no halyard, just a mainsheet. The mast slides into a pocket on the leading edge of the sail, which I believe is similar in concept to a Laser. When sailing alone, I prefer to use the Sunfish because it is much easier to for a small individual to rig (I'm 5'5 - 130 lbs). The Man-O-War requires you to assemble the mast, slide it into the sail and then step the mast manually. Depending on your size, strength, wind conditions and location (at a dock, in the water, on a beach, on a trailer), it can be a pain in the ass. With two people, it isn't a problem. Overall it's a solid design, but beyond sails, parts are difficult to find.

The Mutineer was alot more popular and production was continued until at least 2003 by a few different companies. I don't know a heck of alot about the Mutineer , but I can point you to some websites with alot more info if you are interested.

Chrysler made about a dozen different sailboats ranging from 13' to 26' long. They stopped making sailboats in 1980. Some of the molds got picked up by other manufacturers with continued production.

At 15', they made two models. The Man-O-War which has a single sail and the Mutineer, which also has a jib.

I have a 1975 Man-O-War in addition to my Sunfish.

The Man-O-War has a much larger cockpit and can comfortably sit two adults. There is no halyard, just a mainsheet. The mast slides into a pocket on the leading edge of the sail, which I believe is similar in concept to a Laser. When sailing alone, I prefer to use the Sunfish because it is much easier to for a small individual to rig (I'm 5'5 - 130 lbs). The Man-O-War requires you to assemble the mast, slide it into the sail and then step the mast manually. Depending on your size, strength, wind conditions and location (at a dock, in the water, on a beach, on a trailer), it can be a pain in the ass. With two people, it isn't a problem. Overall it's a solid design, but beyond sails, parts are difficult to find.

The Mutineer was alot more popular and production was continued until at least 2003 by a few different companies. I don't know a heck of alot about the Mutineer , but I can point you to some websites with alot more info if you are interested.
Thank you for the information. I will have to ask the seller, which model it is. I will let you know which model it is. If it is a mutineer I would like to have the website names. Thank you for your help.

Back