do you sail in the rain?

tag

my2fish
so, I have the day off work tomorrow, and was debating try to get in one last sail before I call it for the season... it isn't going to get much warmer here in Michigan. :(

my dilemma is this: tomorrow's forecast is mid-50's and high chance of rain. I have a shorty wetsuit, and wouldn't be out for too long, so the cold doesn't really worry me too much. I'm just curious if others ever try to sail in light rain.

that is, if it's only a mild drizzle, and no thunderstorms - do you try it?

thanks,
tag

Yep! But rarely by choice. And never by choice at 50 degrees.
Although I was POd at my fleet this August for canceling our races because it was only 57 degrees and drizzle. Me thinks the real reason of the cancellation was the 15 mph winds with gusts higher than that. Our fleet commander doesn't seem to like winds above 10 mph.

"...if it's only a mild drizzle, and no thunderstorms - do you try it...?"
Weather forecasts aren't a true science yet. Yesterday, we were "promised" 6-MPH winds. By Noon, I had to lean into the wind to tie my Sunfish down on top of the dock: the wind speed had increased to the point the Sunfish was in danger of blowing away!

On the water, there are enough risk factors already. Unless your lake is tiny, a Sunfish captain can never know how long you'll be out. :eek:

With visibility reduced for speedboaters, I wouldn't try it if the rain and water were toasty. JMHO.

Weather forecasts aren't a true science yet. Yesterday, we were "promised" 6-MPH winds. By Noon, I had to lean into the wind to tie my Sunfish down on top of the dock: the wind speed had increased to the point the Sunfish was in danger of blowing away!

Agreed - and it's pretty nasty out currently, so I'll probably skip it.

On the water, there are enough risk factors already. Unless your lake is tiny, a Sunfish captain can never know how long you'll be out. :eek:

It is a small-ish inland lake, and I would've stayed close to shore/dock area.

With visibility reduced for speedboaters, I wouldn't try it if the rain and water were toasty. JMHO.

There is a no-wake policy on the lake, so the only other boats are usually canoe/kayakers, slow moving fisherman, and other sailboats. I'm guessing due to the rain, I might have only seen 1 or 2 fishing boats, max.

tat2ng

Rain yes, thunder, no.....we even sail when it is snowing!. The coolest thing about sailing when it snows is that you can often see the wind shift by watching the angle of the flurries on your sail....also, snow can build up on your deck, providing some good ammo for snowballs in case anyone gets too close!

Frostbite sailing at the Rochester Canoe Club will begin on Sunday, October 18th at 1:00. All are welcome for the fun!

Mike Fortner
Rochester Canoe Club

http://www.rochestercc.org

Rain yes, thunder, no.....we even sail when it is snowing!. The coolest thing about sailing when it snows is that you can often see the wind shift by watching the angle of the flurries on your sail....also, snow can build up on your deck, providing some good ammo for snowballs in case anyone gets too close!

Frostbite sailing at the Rochester Canoe Club will begin on Sunday, October 18th at 1:00. All are welcome for the fun!

Mike Fortner
Rochester Canoe Club

http://www.rochestercc.org

Ahhhhh, no thanks, I'll have to take your word on it. I'm ussually out taking the snow blower for a ride in those conditions.

Back