Do Sunfish come w/ titles of ownership?

73sunfish

Here in Texas anyboat under 14ft. does not need to be registered. i don't need a title, but do they even make titles for Sunfish, or small boats?

?

I don't know if they (the supplier?) provide a title, but here in Michigan, since the previous owner of my Sunfish did not have a title, and the boat did not have a hull id number (I think it was removed when the boat was repainted), the secretary of state just assigned me a new title for the boat.

So I have a new title for it, with some fake numbers based on the date I bought it or something like that.

We also have to register the sailboat, but I think it is only $8 or $9 for a 3-year registration.

tag

... do they even make titles for Sunfish, or small boats?
I believe the requirement is a state by state issue. I once lived in a state that required a tax... um... er... title on everything. First time around all you did was show up with the sales receipt and the state created a title from that.

...First time around all you did was show up with the sales receipt and the state created a title from that.

Right, that's more or less what they did for mine.

Strange thing I've noticed - originally registered my Super Porpoise in Indiana, where they tack on an extra tax (can't remember what they called it, personal use or excise tax, maybe?) - either way, I think I was paying about $36 a year in Indiana.

When I moved up to Michigan, I was very happy to see that it only costs me $9 for THREE years to register the same sailboat.

tag

In NJ you must register a Sunfish but there's no "title' as with a car. It is a state by state law and can produce some trying situations when buying a boat in a state with no registration and sailing it in a state requiring registration. Think DMV clerks.

Fred

I don't know if they (the supplier?) provide a title, but here in Michigan, since the previous owner of my Sunfish did not have a title, and the boat did not have a hull id number (I think it was removed when the boat was repainted), the secretary of state just assigned me a new title for the boat.

So I have a new title for it, with some fake numbers based on the date I bought it or something like that.

We also have to register the sailboat, but I think it is only $8 or $9 for a 3-year registration.

tag
Having a title for a Sunfish in Michigan isn't required however it may be wise. In Michigan, a title is not required for any boat under 20 feet in length, that does not have a built in motor (inboard). For boats under 20 feet in length without on inboard motor, the boat only has to be registered.

Back