Do Lasers carry titles?

They don't have titles.

are you sure? i just sold one and i included the title in the sale.
you better double check. i thought the dealers give an original title with
a new boat. the title has lines on the backside to help with transferring ownership.

are you sure? i just sold one and i included the title in the sale.
you better double check. i thought the dealers give an original title with
a new boat. the title has lines on the backside to help with transferring ownership.

OK, maybe this varies by state. Boats in Ohio don't need a title if they are under 14 feet. A Laser is 13 feet 10 inches, and I figured that the builders planned it that way so they wouldn't need a title. I've been wrong once before. ;)

This was a few years back, but when I was in Texas you only had to register a sailboat with TX numbers if it was over 14 feet. The Laser is convenient 13' 11" per manufacturer's spec. I would assume no registration means no title. I bought and sold several boats in Texas without a title. I doubt you could find a Laser with a title in Texas even if you wanted.

You shouldn't need a title for the trailer either. At any rate get some sort of signed bill of sale just to CYA.

Title requirements vary by state and many do not title non-motorized vessels. For example Florida does not title non-motorized boats under 16 feet, but does title all boats over 16 feet. On a new boat, the builder will supply an MSO (manufacturer's statement of origin) to the dealer. There is a place on it to transfer ownership from the dealer to the end purchaser. You can take the MSO to your approptiate state office to gain a title.

Generally speaking if you buy a boat in a non-title state and bring it into a title state, a notorized bill of sale is all you will need to get a new title.

This was a few years back, but when I was in Texas you only had to register a sailboat with TX numbers if it was over 14 feet. The Laser is convenient 13' 11" per manufacturer's spec. I would assume no registration means no title. I bought and sold several boats in Texas without a title. I doubt you could find a Laser with a title in Texas even if you wanted.

You shouldn't need a title for the trailer either. At any rate get some sort of signed bill of sale just to CYA.

Indiana is messed up... you dont need to title the boat, and theoretically dont need to title the trailer. However to get a trailer plate, you have to have a valid title... I trailer 2x per year, when I do, I "borrow" a tag, which I'm sure is a hefty fine if I get caught.

The alternative is to go to the BMV with photos of the trailer, a bill of sale, arrange a police inspection of the trailer (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, how did it get here?) and then you can get a title, which in turn allow you to get a title...

Here in California, your Laser definitely needs a title and so does your trailer and if the title is not clear you are in for a huge hassle that in some cases can prevent the title from getting done. By "clear" I mean that if the boat is not currently registered, you have ownership records going back to the last time it was registered that show a legal transfer from each owner to the next up to present day. With boats that go back more than 30 years now, that can be very difficult to assemble if they aren't with the boat.

You need title to the boat here because it's the only way to get your CF numbers for the hull. I'm sure people's experiences vary, but before I put mine on I got cited at a launch ramp (Marina del Rey). If I hadn't had them on when I took the boat up to Lake Arrowhead awhile back, I wouldn't have been able to sail as the lake is private and current registration is a requirement.

Good(ish) news is that trailers get permanent registration once in your name so you never have to renew, and boats only need to get renewed once every two years.

Obviously from the responses here, requirements vary a great deal state to state but it's really worth checking to see that you're in compliance or can be without a huge ordeal.

Title requirements vary by state and many do not title non-motorized vessels. For example Florida does not title non-motorized boats under 16 feet, but does title all boats over 16 feet. On a new boat, the builder will supply an MSO (manufacturer's statement of origin) to the dealer. There is a place on it to transfer ownership from the dealer to the end purchaser. You can take the MSO to your approptiate state office to gain a title.

Generally speaking if you buy a boat in a non-title state and bring it into a title state, a notorized bill of sale is all you will need to get a new title.

Merrily, etal:
i stand corrected. i was referring to the MSO. in my state you need to register boats and trailers. i had an MSO from my older boat.

Back