Do I want an MC Scow?

jas cooper

My desire to get back sailing has resurfaced, and I'm thinking about what sailboat would satisfy me. Here's what I am thinking.

I am almost 60 and not in top physical condition.

I learned to sail in a Sunfish fifty years ago. I own a Prindle 18-2 catamaran, a phenomenal boat, but too difficult to single hand these days (almost impossible to step mast now without help).

So I am looking for a boat that is:

Easy to trailer, step mast and rig by one person.

Somewhat forgiving to sail. Can be pushed in a good breeze, but will stay dry if desired.

Fast. Or at least the feeling of speed. Mostly sail on a small lake with dinghys and daysailers, and want to be able to pass anything bit a Prindle (e.g.).

Something to sit and sail. I don't want to be dancing around to keep the boat upright or pumping the tiller to move.

Can scrub power. At 60, I'm not anxious to be righting a boat after wind shifts or gusts. Something that, with a little foresight, will stay upright most of the time.

More than a mainsheet. I'd like a little more challenge with more sail shaping options and more finesse required.

FUN TO SAIL!!! Obviously the most important criteria. Although this includes some of the above. If a sailboat is a pain to get in the water and get sailing, it doesn't matter how good it is once moving.

My original thought was a Laser, and still is under consideration. They're easily available, well equipped, fast, and fun. If I was half my age, I think it would be a no brainer. Or if I wanted to race.

But I'm not 30, and not racing anyone but myself. Also cost is not as much a consideration in my thinking. So I'm leaning heavily toward ordering a new MC Scow from Melges. Is this a smart move, or utterly foolish? If I do get an MC, it will be sight unseen. I can only guess from reading posts, watching videos, and extrapolating how I think they will handle.

Any all opinions appreciated. I considered other boats but most seemed either too sedate, too touchy, or too much to handle solo.

Thanks

Back