Dns, dnc, dnf

Mike Lindstrom

I have looked through the search feature and can't find the meaning of DNC. I know DNF (did not finish) and DNS (did not start) but what does DNC mean?

Mike

Did not compete

Here's the full listing from the rules...

SCORING ABBREVIATIONS
These scoring abbreviations shall be used for recording the circumstances
described:
DNC Did not start; did not come to the starting area
DNS Did not start (other than DNC and OCS)
OCS Did not start; on the course side of the starting line at her
starting signal and failed to start, or broke rule 30.1
ZFP 20% penalty under rule 30.2
BFD Disqualification under rule 30.3
SCP Took a Scoring Penalty under rule 44.3(a)
DNF Did not finish
RAF Retired after finishing
DSQ Disqualification
DNE Disqualification (other than DGM) not excludable under rule
90.3(b)
DGM Disqualification for gross misconduct not excludable under
rule 90.3(b)​
RDG Redress given

Thanks! I chose the Gulf Coast Championship as my second Laser regatta ever and got my ars handed to me by a bunch of 15 year olds (I'm 53 on Thursday). I had trouble telling when it was time to start. When I saw all the standard rigs sailing off into the distance I thought to myself "this must be my start". So I crossed the start about a minute and a half behind the fleet and am wondering how that equates to not competing. I sailed the entire race in third to fifth from last but sailed it never the less only to be told that I did not compete.

I guess I need some guidance.

Mike

The sailing instructions (SIs) may have had some language that might explain your DNC. Now that the event is over, you could try to get an answer by writing or calling a member of the RC.

Anyway, I hope you had a good time. I definitely have made my mistakes on the starting line :eek:

Thanks! I chose the Gulf Coast Championship as my second Laser regatta ever and got my ars handed to me by a bunch of 15 year olds (I'm 53 on Thursday). I had trouble telling when it was time to start. When I saw all the standard rigs sailing off into the distance I thought to myself "this must be my start". So I crossed the start about a minute and a half behind the fleet and am wondering how that equates to not competing. I sailed the entire race in third to fifth from last but sailed it never the less only to be told that I did not compete.

I guess I need some guidance.

Mike

No idea about the regatta but was there anything requiring you to sign-on/sign-off for the race or to sign a declaration afterwards (declaring you obeyed all the rules). Sign-off/declaration may be the same. One club I sail at does nothing (just sail to the start and they recognise who is at the helm). Another has sign-on for 1st race of day but that is all. Another has sign on (at start of day) then sign off/declaration after each race. But that is all club racing. Another club I used to sail at used the sign-on/sign-off as a safety procedure - safety boats not allowed in until everybody who signed-on has signed-off (but that club had a lot of youngsters learning out sailing most of the time).

Maybe if you did not sign-on and they required it they treated you as just somebody just out for a sail.

Ian

Just how late starting were you. Sometimes if you are over a set time limit when you cross the line (usually around 4 minutes after the start gun here) then you are classed as DNC. There may be something like this in the sailing instructions for the event you did.

It may not be Mike's problem in this case, but one lesson I have learned, forgotten, and re-learned many times over the years is the importance of not just reading the sailing instructions, but studying them carefully!

When the three letter abbreviations became popular, there very briefly was a "Pre-Mature Start" category. That obviously was changed very quickly to "On Course Side".

Back