Class Politics DNE for Paige Railey

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Paige got a DNE (Disqualification; Not Excludable) for one of the races in the Princess Sophia regatta, a pretty big event in Mallorca (an island off the coast of Spain). This put her out of contention for first place, although she did make the final ten. My question to the learned community of racers is; how does one get a DNE? What is a typical scenario?

This is direct from the rule book

When a scoring system provides for excluding one or more race
scores from a boat’s series score, the score for disqualification
under rule 2; rule 30.3’s next-to-last sentence; rule 42 if rule
67, P2.2 or P2.3 applies; or rule 69.1(b)(2) shall not be excluded.
The next-worse score shall be excluded instead.

(Rule 2 is fair sailing, rule 30.3 is the black flag, rule 42 is kinetics.. Rule 69 is gross misconduct)

49208 said:
This is direct from the rule book

When a scoring system provides for excluding one or more race
scores from a boat’s series score, the score for disqualification
under rule 2; rule 30.3’s next-to-last sentence; rule 42 if rule
67, P2.2 or P2.3 applies; or rule 69.1(b)(2) shall not be excluded.
The next-worse score shall be excluded instead.

(Rule 2 is fair sailing, rule 30.3 is the black flag, rule 42 is kinetics.. Rule 69 is gross misconduct)

Thanks; I hope it wasn't rule 2 or 69 that resulted in the DNE. Most everybody in that category of sailors is familiar with rule 42; so the DNE might have resulted from ignorance of (the last part of the Black Flag) rule 30.3 by elimination.

PS: (I had to look this up) The last three sentences of Rule 30.3 describe a Black Flag start followed by a general recall or abandonment. If the RC displays your number after such a start and subsequent general recall or abandonment, then you may not restart. If you do, you get a DNE :eek:

I think a lot of lines get blurred when you get to her level of sailing. It's all about the win and it kinda has to be i think. She is our best shot for a sailing gold in 2008.

Most probably the penalty is for failing to sail in Austin last weekend...

Did Not Easter

Rob B said:
I think a lot of lines get blurred when you get to her level of sailing. It's all about the win and it kinda has to be i think. She is our best shot for a sailing gold in 2008.

Anna is pushing her hard though, I'm not really up on their strengths but I think Anna is the better light air sailor. :confused:

Wavedancer said:
Thanks; I hope it wasn't rule 2 or 69 that resulted in the DNE. Most everybody in that category of sailors is familiar with rule 42; so the DNE might have resulted from ignorance of (the last part of the Black Flag) rule 30.3 by elimination.

PS: (I had to look this up) The last three sentences of Rule 30.3 describe a Black Flag start followed by a general recall or abandonment. If the RC displays your number after such a start and subsequent general recall or abandonment, then you may not restart. If you do, you get a DNE :eek:

Sometimes sailing instruction modify 30.3 so that if you keep sailing after being notified at the weather mark of being over during a black flag you get a DNE. My guess though is it was a rule 42 infraction as she has had issue's in the past (especially in Europe) with rule 42s

Back