DIY Cover for the Summer

Mark25

My son just acquired a '76 Sunfish and will have it on a trailer at the yacht club during the summer. What is a cheap way to cover it during this time? He will garage it in the winter.

Cheap poly tarp and bungee cords...or covers are available for just over $100, I believe, but made of inexpensive material and thread. Otherwise I wouldn't really worry about it, except for the sail and any wood work that you want protected from the sun. Obviously, leave the cockpit drain open. I personally just made a spar/sail cover and same with the wooden rudder.

Some of those "waterproof" covers trap moisture in as well as keeping it out = almost immediate mildew. We sent a Top Gun cover back. If you go cheap tarp then leave a ridge for air to circulate. Are you leaving spars/sail/blades on the boat? Make sure the area is secure. And don't use untreated duck cloth, it mildews.

We have tried a LOT of covers/tarps and our favorite is the SLO Sail and Canvas Pacific Blue Sunbrella Spars On Deck cover with straps. $270 USD. How's he going to cover it next season, tarps aren't cheap either if you buy one a year.

Have fun!

Clark and Skipper

IMG_6848.JPG

My son just acquired a '76 Sunfish and will have it on a trailer at the yacht club during the summer. What is a cheap way to cover it during this time? He will garage it in the winter.
Y'know, between the aluminum, bronze and fiberglass that make up a Sunfish, there's only the sail that would take a beating from being unprotected outdoors. Sail covers are available, or the sail and spars as a unit can be carried home for security and long use.

If tree litter and lawn-maintenance debris landing in the cockpit is a concern, we've been discussing a possibility today. A pin can disconnect the tiller, and all the wood can be stored within the cockpit:
Beaten up Sunfish

not to mention, it takes all of about 5 minutes to wax the topside of a Sunfish for UV protection to the gelcoat...if that's even needed. 40 year old gelcoat isn't going to spring into a new lifespan, by being covered. Wash, wax and sail... or....just wash and sail and let the waves do the washing.

I've been using an old car cover from my Hyundai Accent this summer. Kinder on the finish than a tarp, and breathes. Fits surprisingly well.

Back