Disappointed

Just A Mom

We had an appointment for 7pm tonight to buy a package of two lasers. A 85 and a race ready 93. With trailer and dolly and all rigging. Price - $3500. We were the first people to respond to the ad over two weeks ago but the seller was out of town. They held us off until today when they returned. We were ASSURED we would have first dibs. They even confirmed with us TODAY we were coming and sent the address. I immediately responded that we WOULD BE THERE at the time agreed upon.

I just got a text - they sold the boats to someone else who was supposed to come after us.

My son is disappointed, as am I. We waited weeks and counted on buying those boats. We even went and got cash today to take with us.

I just don't understand people. Why string someone along?

Anyway, I guess now the search continues.

What a crappy start to the long weekend.

That's depressing. The good news is that those aren't the only Lasers in the world.

Did the seller give any reason for favouring the other buyer over you?

This actually brought to mind the sale of my late father's Laser a few years ago. Long story short, I had to choose between selling it to someone I thought deserved the boat more and someone who was willing to pay more. My (then) wife gave me the wise advice: "do as your father would have done". And so the promising youngster got it, instead of the wealthier master.

Last edited:
There are some Lasers for sale in Saugatuck, MI (see the Lasers Wanted section). Not next door for you, :eek:

There are some Lasers for sale in Saugatuck, MI (see the Lasers Wanted section). Not next door for you, :eek:
Yes, I saw them. But the Canadian dollar is terrible right now. So that $3000 boat would really be $3900 for us. I can buy a 2004 - 2009 here for that.

That's depressing. The good news is that those aren't the only Lasers in the world.

Did the seller give any reason for favouring the other buyer over you?

This actually brought to mind the sale of my late father's Laser a few years ago. Long story short, I had to choose between selling it to someone I thought deserved the boat more and someone who was willing to pay more. My (then) wife gave me the wise advice: "do as your father would have done". And so the promising youngster got it, instead of the wealthier master.

No good reason. Basically they made an appointment time with us, told us we could have first chance to buy. So we planned our night to be there as asked and this afternoon they went ahead and sold them to someone else. Not the way I operate in life but I guess to some people their word means nothing. All we can do is move on and keep looking.

I loved your story!

That's too bad, though I'm sure you will find something else. I think several of us have been anxious to see how your quest for a Laser would turn out, so we share your disappointment.

That's too bad, though I'm sure you will find something else. I think several of us have been anxious to see how your quest for a Laser would turn out, so we share your disappointment.

hehe im one of those anxious for you getting the laser. your son is very lucky to have his mom getting interested in his hobbys and sports:)

I drove an hour to look at a Laser only to find out two other people were there for the same reason. The third person left in a huff so then there were two of us. I lost out because I arrived 5 minutes after the first person. The seller would not even entertain a higher offer from me. On the other hand when I went to buy two kayaks and again there were three of us looking to buy the same two kayaks, I won the coin toss and took both home. Win some and lose some.

Back