Disadvantage of the snap clip on the mainsheet

tag

my2fish
I know a lot of people just tie a knot to connect their mainsheet to the bridle, but my boat is currently set up with the *older* snap clip on the end of the mainsheet that lets me just quickly clip to the bridle and go. I usually don't have any trouble with it, but it is an older snap clip and once or twice now, I've had it come loose and the sail goes flying out.
04-lost-my-mainsheet.jpg

I actually caught video of it with my GoPro camera, you can see the mainsheet and snap clip flying towards the end of the boom! maybe it's time to lose the clip and just tie the knot.

Replace it with a more sturdy snap shackle instead if you want the quick setup. Or get a new snap clip, available from hardware stores for under $5.

that one from intensity is the one I am using. Admitidly I am a bit ARetentive about boat things and probably replace things even before they need to, but I would hate myself if I got stranded out in the middle of a lake because I did not replace a $3 clip. Just get the new one and if the spring starts getting soft replace it before you even have one come undone

Reactions: tag
also I might mention that home depot even carries similar ones for under $2, you could even have a backup one in the kit!!

Tag, do you have a block on the bridle also or clip directly to the bridle? I'm going to assume wire bridle....

We have line bridles with blocks, clip on and have been lucky? to never have this issue.

I think I read in here that some folks also tape them shut after clipping

Great gopro shot, is the video uploaded?

Kent

Kent, on my 1960's Sunfish, I have the old 3-loop bridle. On my 2000 era Sunfish, just the 2-loop. No block on either one, I just would use the mainsheet snap clip to connect to the bridle.

I have not uploaded the video... I'm really good at taking the GoPro when I sail, but I have the older GoPro version (so no remote), so I end up with a couple hours of video and I am really good at procrastinating and not getting it edited down into a short enough video to upload to Youtube.

Yeah, I googled just a bit and saw there are some cheap alternatives out there.
Intensity Sails has one for $3 http://www.intensitysails.com/ststspgasnho.html

I bought one of those things from Intensity and the mainsheet came loose EVERY SINGLE TIME I went sailing. The gate spring just is not strong enough for that application. I found a bronze one that looks like the original that came with Sunfishes back in the 1970s at the local hardware store and replaced it with that and it has never come loose once.

The $3.00 one from Intensity is now on my daggerboard retainer bungee...it works great in that application.

Back