Dimensions of a Minifish Rig?

Ken OR

Can anyone provide any of the following for a minifish?

Length of Mast:
Length of Spars:
Dimensions or Area of the sail:

Could a minifish be set up with a sunfish' rig to make a super minifish?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Attachments

• Minifish.gif
    Minifish.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 154
To answer your other question... yes you could rig Minifish with Super rig, but why? :) I have both a Mini & a Super... maybe I'll rig something up and try it! Do you have both, too?

Greg

Greg,

No I don't have both, in fact, neither. I have a Sunfish hull and am working on getting the mast & spars for it. I,ve been offered a Minifish with the sails and spars missing. My thought was that I could use a Sunfish rig on the Minifish as those are still available new and are much more common used.

I was not thinking of putting the sloop rig from a "Super Sunfish" on a "Minifish", but rather a standard Sunfish lateen rig on a Minifish. (I am, of course, assuming that the Minifish uses a scaled down lateen rig similar to, but smaller than a Sunfish, but I have not been able to confirm that is in fact true. ) I'm sure if you sloop rigged a Mini with the SuperSunfish mast & sails it would fly, but you might have difficulty keeping it upright.

Wayne...

Wayne, I think I need some directions navigating the site you sugested. I tried the link and registered there. I was not able to find the information I'm seeking about a Minifish. They did have "SuperSunfish" diagrams, etc. but I found no specific info on the Minifish. Further directions or sugestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ken

Here you go...
Spars 12ft 3in
Mast 9ft
The sail should end about 4 inches from the end of the spars.

The spar material is exactly the same as the Sunfish so if you can get a hold of a set of regular spars you can just pop out an end cap and cut them to size. If you want to put the full Sunfish rig on your minifish I think it would require moving the block on the boom so they are over the cockpit and the traveller. As for the rudder and centerboard, the rudder is the same but uses a shorter tiller. The centerboard is enough the same that the Sunfish one works fine.

Good luck!!

undefinedHi,
Does anyone know offhand the beam of the minifish.
Trying to figure out if I can transport it inside the car
(with the back seats folded flat) without too much
hanging out.
Thanks,
artis

A previous post says a Sunfish daggerboard will work fine for a Minifish. While this may be true some of the time, it is not true all of the time. When the winds pick up you'll find you'll have much difficulty, if not imposible to make the Mini come about. The solution is to raise the board substantially, which proves the Mini was meant to have a shorter board. I too, am trying to determine its optium length.

I am thinking about fabricating a set of mast/booms for a Minifish and need to know the thickness of the tubing, diamater, and grade of aluminum (if anyone knows this)... I plan on ordering the fittings but figure it would be cheaper to buy the tubing locally (MD, DE).

Has anyone else tried this with luck?

Best,
Bryan

I think I have found what I am looking for... according to Kenyon, the Sunfish uses the following tubing:

Mast: 2 1/4" OD x 10' , .083 wall thickness, clear anodized 6063-T5 alloy
Booms: 1 1/2" OD x 13'8" , .065 wall thickness, clear anodized 6063-T5 alloy

Now it is time to find a local distributor that can order this for me...

I hope my legwork can help some one else fabricate spars too!

I think I have found what I am looking for... according to Kenyon, the Sunfish uses the following tubing:

You have also answered some of my questions..many thanks..still trying to find a useable Minifish sail..may try one from Polysails ???

We have used these folks...for aluminum tubing Metals Depot® Shopping Cart

Back