Different Trailer options

dothedew

Hi, I got a Laser and it came with a trailer, the problem... its warped the forward side walls from the trailer. Its not really an issue for me that its warped but wanted to at least not let it continue. Is there are options you would recommend to change the trailer and but the boat in a better position?

I'm interested in ride up solutions with a dolly (because its easy) but kind of worried about the strength of my dolly's plastics because its old and this video
seemed like a good solution that would be easy and safe.

any ideas are welcome!

To avoid the damage you have (or keep it from getting worse) a trailer that supports the boat from the gunnels or by a wide strap like most dollies is your friend.

Two options are Trailex and Right On. I have a Trailex. Its light and well made and some people use it as a dolly as well as a trailer. Its price has increased dramatically in the last couple of years. I havent used the Right On, but it seems to me a very nice solution and comes with a dolly for hundreds of dollars less than Trailex.

I have the RightOn and use the Intensity Sails dolly wiht it; the setup works well, though it is best suited for Seitech/Dynamic dollies on the trailer for stability.

My thoughts are:

- Kitty Hawk/Trailex is more stable but can make for greater launching difficulties. The degree of difficulty depends on your launching situation though.
- RightOn is most convenient, but the boat bounces around more down the road and the trailers rust quite quickly (poor paint quality in my experience - trailer never saw rain and the paint bubbled within my first year of owning it. It is a basic Harbor Frieght/Lo Chi trailer frame so that is par for the course.)
- Car-topping sucks for solo sailing. You always need someone to help you carry the boat off, and your boat can be dropped. From my experience, this usually involves an impromptu ER vacation visit as well when the gudgeons come down on your feet.

Get a trailer that supports the boat on a strap or by solid supports under the gunwales.

I flip it on the top of my car, all alone. Note the support attached to the gudiones.

Attachments

• IMG_20220626_184049_675.jpg
    IMG_20220626_184049_675.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 99

Back