Different mast cap diameters?

I purchased a mast bottom cap for my 1985 Sunfish and it doesn't fit. The diameter is 2.11" and the old one is 2.06". So roughly 1/16" too big. Did they change the inside diameter of the mast?

I don't know if it changed, but yeah, I had a hell of a time shaving/sanding down a mast base cap to fit inside my late 1960's era mast.

I purchased a mast bottom cap for my 1985 Sunfish and it doesn't fit. The diameter is 2.11" and the old one is 2.06". So roughly 1/16" too big. Did they change the inside diameter of the mast?
Later Sunfish had a sleeve inserted for strengthening the mast, but since I don't own a Sunfish from the 1980s, I can't say if the sleeve affected the diameter at the very base of the mast. (Just a possibility).

Sunfishdirect got back to me - great customer service. This is what they said:

“So we have confirmed with the manufacture that the cap received is the correct cap. They are aware they are a little to big but as of right now that is all there is out there until they get the tool fixed. They recommend cutting the cap down on the sides to be able to make it fit. This is not an ideal solution for customers but unfortunately this is the only solution at this time.”

I need to check that it fits in the mast step but I think it will.

Last week I took the lower mast cap off of a brand new mast (Selden) from LaserPerformance. Here is what it looked like.

Attachments

• 6376155251.jpg
    6376155251.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 54
While you're replacing caps, use the extended tip (snorkel) to give a long spritz inside the mast (and spars) with a "creeping" anti-corrosive, like CRC makes, will help to reduce pitting. (Especially in saltwater boats).

It's a lot of trouble, but I've pulled a split swim noodle inside a mast. (Which also helped to spread the anti-corrosive). Styrofoam is available in "dowel" configuration--if you're so inclined.

It's also a good idea to seal the caps in place in addition to the factory pins.

Substitute pins can be sourced by using pop-rivet mandrels. (Size below).

An easy way to tilt the hull when draining, is to pull on the halyard, while steadying the hull's direction with a foot on the gunwale.

Older Sunfish, with a block instead of a plastic cap, need to be reminded that the factory block is of lightweight material--and can fail. Carry a sturdy cable-tie to affect an emergency repair.

When a wind increases to beyond your normal control, a Sunfish can "run" or sail a fair broad reach--using only the mast! :eek:

Back