difference between american and english Laser Sails!

JuanCH

Hi everybody, I ´ve recently bought a new English Radial Laser Sail. I know that there are american and british sails, is there any difference between them? cloth, durabilty? Opinions welcomed!

I havent compared the two sails but if one was better than the other it would be illegal. The class would ensure that all sails are the same. Im not sure if you're talking about Hyde and North sails but the only difference for them is that the Hyde is more expensive. Anyway they are both rags so I wouldn't worry to much.

I heard that aussie lower sections has low flexibilty so that they are more straight than the european lower sections and I think that having a straight mast in light wind conditions is an advantage

Just heard dont know if its true

Sails:
This has been discussed at length on this forum; just use the Search function to find prior threads. The English sail is made by Hyde (in a Philippine loft) and the other sail is made by North in Sri Lanka.

Masts:
According to LaserPerformance, the aluminum tubing used to manufacture masts is now sourced from the same manufacturer. Therefore, if there ever was a CONSISTENT difference (most likely there wasn't), from now on all masts should be the same, whether bought in the US, UK, Oceania or elsewhere.

For the record, ever since laserperformance bought out vanguard, they have all the sails for lasers shipped from overseas, same with some other parts and i believe some spars. All the laser sails i picked up from the factory in Newport this year still had the shipping tags that said they came from england. I dont know if this is something they are doing for the longrun or temprarily for the transition. Hopefully it is only temporary becuase having all the sails shipped over definatly jacks the price of the sails through the roof.

They are more expensive in the uk? All i know is that when they started shipping them over the prices went up.

For the record, ever since laserperformance bought out vanguard, they have all the sails for lasers shipped from overseas, same with some other parts and i believe some spars. All the laser sails i picked up from the factory in Newport this year still had the shipping tags that said they came from england. I dont know if this is something they are doing for the longrun or temprarily for the transition. Hopefully it is only temporary becuase having all the sails shipped over definatly jacks the price of the sails through the roof.

How else would new sails get to the USA?

At one time there was a North Laser sail loft in the states.

AFAIK, when North Sails got the contract from Harstick, the sails were built in Toronto, CA. I know they were built in Toronto prior to having them built in Sri Lanka.

AFAIK, when North Sails got the contract from Harstick, the sails were built in Toronto, CA. I know they were built in Toronto prior to having them built in Sri Lanka.

OK, thanks for the info. North American then, cause I'm guessing CA is Canada and not California?

Back