didnt know a Sunfish could hold so much water !!

Phillster

so I try to pick up this Sunfish so water could drain out the transom. Couldnt budge it!! Finally got it push to the side a bit, and about 20 gallons of water pour out! Of the bow!!!! What a shame...
5L35E75U63F13J43H8c9odde4187222291d0a.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of water. I just bought a 1982 Sunfish with a good amount of water in the hull. I've had it hanging from the ceiling somewhat nose down for the past week so that water can drip out of the crack on the bottom about 30" back from the prow. I'd say at least 5 gallons have dripped out so far. I put a vacuum cleaner exhaust on the small drip hole on top and pressurizing the hull sped up the water dripping out of the hull. I'll guess that the foam blocks must be somewhat waterlogged. When the hull stops dripping I'll decide on my next step.

I put a vacuum cleaner exhaust on the small drip hole on top and pressurizing the hull sped up the water dripping out of the hull.
:oops: Having never done it, I'm not an expert on pressurizing a Sunfish hull, but that vacuum cleaner could be putting out excessive pressure. :confused:

I'm dyin to see that sail unrolled. There's surely an 'ugly sail' contest out there somewhere it could win!

so I try to pick up this Sunfish so water could drain out the transom. Couldnt budge it!! Finally got it push to the side a bit, and about 20 gallons of water pour out! Of the bow!!!! What a shame...
That may not be so bad. :cool:

Sitting on a trailer outside, rain water can drain inside through tiny cracks in the cockpit walls. Condensation can collect inside as well. A minor fiberglass repair to the bow and cockpit cracks may be all that's needed to stop those leaks. (And something as minor as adding a plywood cover to the cockpit).

I've poured 20 gallons into each of my other boats, so Hurricane Sandy won't blow them away. ;)

Phil,

I am sorry to read that, but I am not surprised as this is a typical problem in older and some times not so older boats.

Take an air pump (not electric) and have somebody pump air through the drain plug, meanwhile you pour some soapy water over the hull, around the gunwale joint and then on the deck and daggerboard trunk. Wherever you see a bubble growing, go ahead and mark the are with a pencil . Once the spots are marked I am sure you'll be able to fix them. Keep a strong eye on the mast base. Having the boat parked (deck up) the mast base is a weak point and perfect water receptacle.

Drop me a note if you need any help.

Regards,

Rod

One of my sunfish was impossible to lift when i first picked it up. It's been out of the water for two summers now draining and drying. Next summer's project is to put in inspection ports, find all the topside leaks and repair the 6-8" crack in the keel.

Back