Did I put these cracks in the cockpit?

stollie

I recently climbed into the cockpit (boat on trailer) to glue strips of material in the daggerboard trunk to prevent hum/chatter. While doing so I heard a soft snap and looked down to see two fine cracks (they look like two 18 inch or so lengths of black hair) running lengthwise in the cockpit, about 2 inches on either side of centerline).

Are these typical stress cracks on fishes? Will a couple of lengths of fiberglass tape suffice? Or just leave as is, it's a non-issue?

Note to self: before setting foot in cockpit like this again, put a few folded up pieces of heavy cardboard or something to spread the load.

Seven or eight years ago, I bought a 1974 Sunfish (and trailer-$300) that had cracks--actually more, around the tub. :(

Bothersome to see, I figured they were of no consequence, and covered them with lengths of 2-inch black Gorilla tape. (Gorilla tape now comes in white. :rolleyes: ) The tape has held up well, and I have no plans to "fix" something that is only cosmetic in nature.

Between sailing adventures, this same Sunfish has been stored on a wood ramp. On occasion, I've added gizmos while standing or sitting in this Sunfish. Meanwhile, similar deck cracks have surrounded the tub! :( (In one small place, a sharp edge has appeared). :eek:

This Sunfish arrived with a nice soft trailer "ride"--but had rollers and no form-fitting bunks. It also had a rough and salty racing life with the previous owner.

My guessing relates to four causes: It's partly trailer, wood ramp storage, heavy skipper and being "hard-cured" in Florida sun.

As Beldar states above, water support is probably needed to avoid these cracks in the footwell.

Back