DePersia bailer

Search :cool: found this:

A “true fixer-upper” probably has a frozen De Persia bailer. If you can’t remove it after PB Blaster (or your favorite penetrating spray) and some time (and my bet is you can’t) then you can either cut it off pretty easily and replace it with a new $85 plastic bailer OR leave it alone and sail without the ball, which is what I’d choose!

If a socket doesn't move it, try a chisel angled counter-clockwise (to loosen). It may be possible to loosen--and yet to save--the nut.

I own two De Persia bailers. :rolleyes:

Until someone offers a professional rebuilding kit, I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. Wrap the threads with Teflon tape until we get a good and effective repair kit.

Anyway, complaints regularly appear on these pages of how insufficient they are as bailers

Thanks to all.
Another question: I have the old style wooden daggerboard and I want to attach a bungee cord to it. Is it better to drill a hole near the top of the daggerboard or to screw an eyebolt into the top, or something else?

You can. You can also go around the board back to front and round the mast or the handle. Some go to the where the booms join at the front so the cord tension will help hold out the sail on a light air run. Others go around the back of the board and put the cord hooks on the edge of the boat. I've seen a shock cord with hooks hooked to the splash rail and around the back the board. It doesn't take a lot of tension. I like the pressure more at deck level and having the cord pulling from the top.

Many wood daggerboards from AMF had a factory hole in the cleat, drilled vertically, for a daggerboard retainer line. We have used that hole, opened up a bit, or on another boat added an eye strap and stainless ring. One simple hole in the cleat works, and for the best angle for the bungee we have found it smoothest to run it up to the bow handle, about 5 foot long bungee works. Buy extra so you can adjust to suit the tension you like, as mentioned above, only a tiny amount of tension is needed. We tried a shorter bungee up to the mast, but the shorter bungee started getting pretty tight when we were taking the board in and out, and we want that process to be easy.

Skipper goes Old School, she allows me to add a daggerboard retainer line, 1/8th inch Dacron cord, but no bungee. She doesn't worry if the board floats up and down a bit on a run, as she is not out in high wind conditions for long.

I had to cut mine out with a carbide wheel, big drills, carbide die grinder. I installed a new plastic unit.

Attachments

• 042CDE4B-C0D6-4022-B152-53E6ED712F18.jpeg
    042CDE4B-C0D6-4022-B152-53E6ED712F18.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 67

Back